add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

General Use/Gaming PC

johngerges582
  • 57 months ago

I honestly don't know what to put here lol. I needed to build a computer that could handle some games at 50+ fps while still being on a budget. Once I actually get around to you know "buying the parts", and well, actually building it, it should serve my purposes well. Any opnions will be greatly appreciated. :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KpRF6h

EDIT: I also live close to a Microcenter so, if I get find some good deals I might change it up.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

The build looks good as is. The only thing I can mention about it is you don't need the 212 since you won't be overclocking. Other than that, it is a solid build.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I know. I kinda just added it for the coolness factor though. I might just stick with stock or change to a TX3, T4 or a Cryorig H7.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

There is also the Be Quiet! Pure Rock if you want to keep the noise levels down.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was thinking that too, but if I really wanted silence I would go with a Noctua cooler but that's about $13 more.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely a lot of bang for the buck on this build. You can probably get a 4690k for about $40 more as microcenter often sells it at $200.

Id say you can keep the 212. as the S340 does not have the best airflow as that is the same as my case, I added 2 140mm fans as the case doesnt come with any on the front which is much needed.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was deciding if I wanted to do that because another build I put together (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sW6qf7) was only a few bucks more, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with overclocking, but hey I'm willing to try new things.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

As the saying goes, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I dont overclock much but I have the parts needed for it, its nice just knowing I have the option.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are willing to give the overclocking a try, I would go with a slightly cheaper motherboard, H7 (which out performs the 212), a beefier power supply, and a 380. Actually, even if you aren't overclocking I recommend the 380. The 4gb 960 performs just as well as the 2gb version and the 380 performs about as well as a 280x which outperformed the 960 every time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $111.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $53.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card $203.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $73.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $790.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-25 15:34 EDT-0400
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

That's actually really similar to another build I had. The one I linked before was pretty old. Maybe I'll give it a try.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking isn't really too bad, unless you want to get into enthusiast level stuff which will use some crazy custom loop contraption which is not allotted for this budget. It should be pretty easy to get the 4690k to 4.2ghz. There are tons of tutorials online to help guide you. If I could manage to get my 3.2ghz i5 3470 (no K) to 3.7ghz stable on stock cooling, you should easily get the 4690k to 4.0+

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube