add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why am I being doubted?

N0VAxForgotten

54 months ago

Why do my parents and friends doubt me when I say I'm going to build a computer, why do people think it's so hard?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 5 points

Because they look at computers and see hunks of metal and plastic that by sheer sorcery transform electricity into colors on a screen. And then they think you'll be learning how that works when you build a computer.

I tell all my friends and family that PC building is basically just LEGOs for grown-ups. The "intelligence", if you want to call it that, is in the parts selection and optimizing your parts for your usage and budget. The build is the easiest part. That's why you can watch a build guide from 4 years ago and know how to build a PC today. And yet questions on the actual parts selection just roll on, daily, because of how varied they can be.

The very existence of this website is a testament to how much more critical parts selection is rather than the build itself.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. Which is why it's Number 4 in my advice for new-comers!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have this advice list posted anywhere? I'd be interested to see what you came up with.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It's right here

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Very nice suggestions! How come you used so much profanity?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

How come you used so much profanity?

I just did? It's my nature :)

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Simple; they've never done it and they don't know anything about computers.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, my mom and dad know absolutely nothing about them and it'll be funny when I do actually put it together

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, they'll probably assume that it sucks. That's how my family has always been. Even after I built one, they still don't believe it performs well. (Though, to be fair, I haven't built a gaming rig)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, my mom was saying " Aden (my name), do you even know anything about computers"

Me: "No mom, that's why I've only been researching computer parts for almost 2 years now"

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Just remember - don't build to prove anything. Just build for yourself!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The flaw in the logic there is that computer builders = computer engineers, which couldn't be further from the truth.

You don't need to be a mechanical engineer to assemble or fix a car. Factory workers and body shop owners definitely aren't engineers... So why would you need to be a computer engineer to assemble or fix a computer? Got 'em.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You should do a video of them when you unveil the completed computer.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, Thanks. I probably will now

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Tell them you have a special talent. People like "Talents"

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL they'll just laugh at me

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Geeks get laughed at all the time. However most of the time they end up with big salaries.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Because you're a wizard Nova.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank You

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

mainly because most people look at computers as a very complex machine and yes they are, but most of the complex stuff is stuff you will never have to deal with it. Computers are rather simple devices to be honest. If you have put 2 years of study into this, you will be fine and best of luck to you. But other advice in this thread should be followed, like build it for you, not to prove a point, and build something that you will be happy with and proud of. The everything else will fall in place.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

At one time, to build a computer required you to buy all the chips separately, create a motherboard/system board (connecting all those chips using extra chips for various things like buffering and memory mapping.) The trick after that was to create the software (and/or OS) that would run on it, unless you used someone else's design and the available software for it.

In the early days of personal computing, when there were more options than a PC, an Apple, or building your own from scratch, there was the home computer (kind of like the all-in-ones of today) except monitors and secondary storage (mostly floppies or cassette tape, sometimes hard drives) and other expansion options were external. Apple and IBM had internal options, but both of those were a bit better known for business.

The industry in general prefers to keep the ease of building a PC mysterious and magical, only capable of being done by a select few, and primarily the build giants of HP, Dell, etc. They like to keep the myths and fears of a self-build alive for their own profits.

From the beginning the IBM PC has always been a "LEGO" type of affair for assembly. Getting things like interrupts and DMA channels configured for no conflicts had the bigger challenges. Ever since Windows 95 and the introduction of Plug and Play (PnP, sometimes called plug and pray) that processes has become less and less user/builder involved.

Some cases we got people who either lack the knowledge. Those who lack the knowledge can learn how to build if they so choose to, but the pre-built industry would rather they didn't. Sometimes that FUD is so ingrained that there is nothing you can do... and any sign of a mess-up by someone else supports their feelings.... so the project... just like people do on many other things.

tl;dr

Some prefer to keep the magic and FUD of building your own alive, for their own profits. Some are guilty of ignorance (which can be cured easily enough if they can overcome their own Fears, Uncertainties, and Doubt) and pass it on. Some are just idiots that can't and they project their FUD and incompetence onto others.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube