add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

logical upgrade from fx-8320

Dam5968

57 months ago

I want to upgrade my cpu. I originally thought of a fx-8350 but now am wondering about the 8370 but they look similar. any thoughts

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Logical upgrade? None.

Any upgrade? The 9xxx series?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I will try water cooling the 8320 so I get the hang of it before I move into the 9000's. Thanks

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Swapping for an FX-8350 or 8370 wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I wasnt sure. I have the 8320 oc to 4.4. My thought was pehaps the 8350 may be able to get a better yield.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no LOGICAL upgrade. You can upgrade to a 9370 or a 9590 but its just not a good upgrade. A good upgrade is moving to the Intel 2011-3 socket while getting the 5820k or the 5830k. They usually yield better performance.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I would have to replace the motherboard and re install the os. Thanks for the input though.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope you can able to do logical update for fx-8350 processor.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

So your saying an 8350 would not be a good idea?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

moving from an 8320 to any other 83xx is a quite a bit more sideways than it is moving forward. If you can hang on for about a year, +/- a few months The Zen processors should be out and that should be a big jump in performance in comparison. Of course save some extra cash if you wait as you'll need to upgrade the MoBo and RAM with it as I've heard nothing about Zen having any DDR3 support at any price-point.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea, thank you !!!!!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no logical upgrade to another FX, you'd have to move to an i5 line or better.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I see that now, in lieu of buying a new mobo and rebuilding an intel PC I and going to try my hand at some water cooling and overclock this chip as much as I can. Thank you for the info.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

With a little background information about what kind of performance gain you're trying to see I'm sure we could give better advice. Gaming and similar single core tasks I think you'd find even an i3 would give you performance boost over your current setup. Its worth noting that you may find performance per dollar gain on most tasks is marginal for overclocking.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Over clocking and water cooling is an area I want to be fluent in, so I might as well practice on this set up. Thanks for the info

[comment deleted]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I will, I have it up to 4.4 on air cooling (hyper 212) but I am going to try the corsair h100i or the CM Poseidon 240 and see if I cant get some more out of it. If nothing else it will be my first attempt at water cooling which I have always wanted to try.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube