add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is getting a faster boot-up off an SSD really worth the extra money?

Croakin

58 months ago

Is it?

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes. SSD's don't just benefit boot-up times, have you seen how fast programs like the adobe suite load up? it's incredible. I wouldn't ever go back to mechanical drive for primary use. Even my work dev PC which is a Xeon ES 1650 v2 with 64gb ram and WD10k drive feels sluggish.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

You have a nice beard. I'm jealous.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha thanks! It's bigger now

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

But why? Are there any other benefits besides a faster boot-up?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

It loads everything on the SSD much faster.

Is it worth it? Well only you can decide that.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything loads faster, everything opens faster, everything saves faster, everything is faster. People argue all day about CPUs and RAM for making their computers speedy, when in reality the biggest upgrade you can make to have a system that feels responsive and cutting edge in everyday tasks is an SSD. It is the single best improvement to the PC user experience that you can make.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it's worth every penny! You must decide for yourself.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

If I do end up deciding on putting one in my system, what SSD would you recommend?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Samsung 850 EVO. 120GB or 250GB depending on your budget. As of this comment; $69.99 Amazon, $117.99 Amazon.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

The 850 is the best mainstream SSD out there at the moment, like John said. But really, any SSD except for the Kingston SSD V300 Now! are faster than a HDD. SanDisk makes pretty great cheap drives, along with Crucial.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

850 EVO like John said or Crucial's MX100. Just depends on price. They're basically equivalent in speed, Samsung just does more marketing and has extra software fluff.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Corsair Force LS's are pretty good and cheap. I got a 60GB one for £30.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Reading material: StorageReview

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the article! I'll do some reading.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hell yes. I'll never build a computer without an SSD again! Until the next best thing anyway...

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

I used to wonder if an SSD was worth it. I got a 120gb one for my computer, and the 60 bucks I spent on that are the best 60 bucks I've spent.

Steam launches and verifies in under half a second. I restarted my pc to install update and it was done before I could go blow my nose.

My pc can boot (to the lockscreen, mind you) before I can stand up and sit down again.

An ssd is several orders of magnitude faster than an hdd, and I'm never going back.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD's don't break as easily as HDD's due to them not having any moving parts. I've only dropped a HDD once and I got VERY lucky that the parts inside didn't break. SSD's are the future. So yes, they are worth the money.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD's make windows feel snapper.

Everything you do loads faster on a SSD, not just the boot times, which are also alot faster. But any window you load up or anything you do in windows will be faster because the windows install is running off the SSD. The old HDD's are slow and you can see windows lagging on them trying to load things like an ICON.

But not on a SSD, its much faster and I wont ever go back to just using a HDD.

Get one and dont look back.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube