add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I have $265 and I need some advice on what to do with it

Phantom8756
  • 60 months ago

My Specs

I didn't buy a hard drive when I bought everything because I figured, what the heck I'll just use an old one right? WRONG. Here I am 4 months down the line from building it and programs aren't opening, random crashes straight to BiOS, and 5 minute boot times. It's a 320 GB Seagate, and I've barely put anything on it and its 211 GB of 297 GB. Basically storage hasn't become an issue, it's always been an issue.

My original plan to spend my money on was to wait out for the R9 300 series, and buy a new GPU. But see if I don't have a hard drive to use it with, then whats the point? So I need your guys' advice. I really want a new GPU, but also this HDD thing is becoming an issue. Most of the time it works fine, but the other day I was playing DayZ Epoch (Arma 2 mod) and I crashed straight to the BiOS.

Any opinion would be great. Also should I post my build on here? I was going to at first but I changed my mind after I had built it. anywaysysyysyssysysy

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

any game that will benefit from that shiny new graphics card is likely to be minimum 20GB install with 20-30GB download, This isn't a hard rule obviously but its the sort of scenario you're looking at. Get a 1TB HDD then the graphics card :)

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Invest it in a high-yield savings bond!

But really, you can grab a 1TB 7200rpm HDD for ~50$. The most common choices are these two drives: WD & Seagate.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely get a new hard drive before getting a GPU. Without fixing that first problem of constant crashes, you won't be able to enjoy the GPU, let alone install any games.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

More system info would have helped, but your best bet would be a intel 730 SSD. 5 year warranty and enterprise grade. 240GB= $119,480gb= $219. With the $119 SSD, you could still pickup a used R9 270X on ebay....

and google " TweakTown's Ultimate Windows SSD Performance Installation Guide " if you do....

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed, at 250/256GB the Samsung 850 EVO and Crucial MX100 are some of the best SSDs for the money right now.

Crucial pulls ahead at 128GB.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Not so much with the 730. It's ratted at 70gb per day, where as all other non enterprise SSD's are generally only 20gb. Plus it has little touches like dual capacitors which protect from spikes or dropouts in power (yet another enterprise trait) while others have none. With the way these things fail, as in without warning, I'll take all the over built I can get...

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube