add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

finally accepting my loss...

jbgetty
  • 60 months ago

so I am returning (for $60! restocking) my asus mars 760x2 I received last week when compiling my build, the card I asked 657902.1 questions about trying to prove to myself it was the correct card for rendering/cuda but it doesn't stack well yet apparently... like vram.

so I have just freed up about $400... probably more like $350

should I get a 970 with the idea of getting another down the road? should I hold out until I can get a 980 and call it quits and in the mean time run my build with a radeon 4850 (something else)

and I can't get a new amd card because I need cuda

please help a depressed builder and go easy on my silliness

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you trying to enable the Mercury Playback Engine for Premiere Pro? May want to try adding just "GeForce GTX 760" to the supported cards text file and not something like "GeForce GTX 760X2".

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually haven't used the card yet and do not, as of yet use premiere pro.. but see myself using in the future so I will remember this if I have a problem with gpu support thanks

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

here's my build by the way... minus the 760x2 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pz2f7

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooo nice! That's actually super similar to the build I'm gonna upgrade too soon, do you mind taking some pics and uploading it as a completed build? I'd love to see!

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't wait to get this running. And I'll definitely uploading a completed of it. Almost bought a 34" ultra wide for it today but had to jerk my budget reins.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get a GTX 780 Ti, it has nearly double the cuda cores of the GTX 970 and it is more powerful than it.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

It was over budget.. I guess I'll have to set up the lemonade stand early this year.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a 970. It's great for now and it's right at your budget point. The CUDA performance of a 980 is a good margin better, so consider if you want that instead. It should be notable that not all software packages will take more than one GPU into account. But a 970 or 980 is where your eyes should be looking.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm really considering it.. but with gtc 2015 going on and the new titan x being announced for $999 I almost think I should wait and see what else comes down in price..

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

The amd 300 series should be announced in June, so when that comes around there is a decent chance we will see price drops on the current nVidia cards. That being said I don't see the 970 dropping to far in price, but the 980 may drop significantly.

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

Get the 970. Don't listen to the crazy people telling you to buy the older architecture. The 970 is far more efficient than the 780ti is with comparable performance.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I just don't see myself ever pulling the trigger and getting two 780 ti's, I do however see another 970 a few months down the road If I get one now Also, I think If I got a 780 ti it would have to be a reference card..and there's no affording that on my budget

I'm all kinds of mixed up so maybe I should just get a mac

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm all kinds of mixed up so maybe I should just get a mac

Noooooo... (personal bias against them...)

One thought is to go with a refurbished GPU. This can allow you to get a higher end GPU (more CUDA cores) at a lower price (comparable to a GTX 970). For instance, this gives you a GTX 780 with 2304 CUDA cores for a price similar to a GTX 970 (~350$): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487106

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting a refurbished gpu sounds like getting a refurbished toothbrush to me for some reason like, what if the person before tried starting their own render farm?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, in the case of the one I linked to, they were inspected by the manufacturer and comes with a 1yr manufacturer warranty. Worst case of it failing right after that period ends, you save a bit every month from now until then for a better GPU.

Now, if there was some way that using a GPU could somehow "burn in" an image into its memory, then I would be more suspicious...

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I keep waiting to see what prices come down.. a few days after I bought my motherboard, the price dropped $20 and MSI started giving free $100 pair of gaming headphones with it..

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • -1 points

Stop saying this, I've disproved you multiple times. Only the Gigabyte model does, since they had the poor judgement not to make a variant that runs at lower speed, so they have to apply a lot of voltage to the worse chips in order to reach a high base clock. This doesn't happen with, say, EVGA or MSI, because they have lower clocked versions that the worse-binned chips are used for.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That's total system power consumption. Read the title at the top of the graph. You need very specific equipment to measure the actual power usage of just the card, so most reviewers just use the same system and measure the draw of the whole system to measure the difference of different cards.

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm just glad no one is suggesting a I get a titan x now that they will be $999... I will look more into all this and appreciate every suggestion

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm seriously tired of seeing the same 3-4 people spewing this ********. The best part is they all downvote you when you try to say anything they goes against their agenda.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 0 points

1/2 I agree on this one

3) Notice how the chart says system wattage

4) Not sure why you linked this one, it uses well under the 300w that you claimed

5) Same as 3 (the chart literally says "system power consumption" right at the top". They clearly are just measuring the system from the wall with a Kill-a-watt, like most reviewers do)

6) Same as 3 again (read the chart)

7) Same as 4. 199w isn't 300w. It's a little above the rated TDP, but not a huge jump, and is likely just the result of a slightly higher clock speed.

8) You linked the same article twice, probably an accident. Please edit so I can see the article you were trying to link.

9) In the picture for their review, you can see that they are plugged into a Kill-a-watt, so same reason as 3., they're just measuring the whole system.

10) Again, not that bad, considering the factory overclock.

11) Colorful has the same issue as the Windforce (no low-end variant that they can use the bad chips for)

While some aftermarket variants may use a little more power than the reference ones, the Gigabyte cards are the only ones that use a significant amount over 200W. Sure, a factory overlocked card may use 10-30w more power than a reference one. I don't think that's a huge problem, and it's far from the 100w+ extra that the G1 Gaming uses.

And for your edit, once again, read the chart. Most sites measure in whole system wattage, due to how expensive and complicated it is to measure for the card. A PCIe riser is required, along with PCIe cable extensions hooked up to a measurement device so all the power delivered to the card can be measured. Techpowerup is the only site I am aware of currently that uses this technique regularly, and TomsHardware has one that they use occaisionally.

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

This^

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

get the 970 it is basically the same as 980 but lower priced

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

It isn't no where close to be the same, the GTX 980 has a full 4GB of VRAM, 25% more cuda cores and it is faster.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-970/2576vs2577

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

but to get a 4gb card at that price it might be too expensive might as well get an r9 290x instead

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

More cuda doesn't mean it will be better cuda and stream proccessors are there but even if it has more cuda it might not perform well

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube