add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need intel i5 cpu that's as good as the 4690k.

kevinpereira79

60 months ago

I can afford the 4690k, but if I don't need it, then why not save money. My build will mostly be for basic gaming, like LOL, WOW, The Sims 4, and maybe Battlefield. Here's my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BC8T3C

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

i5 4460 will do you well.

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

It has to be overclockable.

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

4670k and 4690k are the only unlocked (overclockable) 4th gen. i5 chips.

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

They are also the most powerful stock ones. And the most expensive.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

...but they're the "most worth-it?"

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

They can be. If you get a poor bin, then it's not as worth it. Too bad you never know what you're gonna get... ;)

Also, the Devil's Canyon chips (4790k and 4690k) overclock much better.

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

4670K?

I mean thats a odd request, your not getting anything else unless you want to backpeddle in gens.

• 60 months ago
  • -3 points

I need some evidence to back up that claim

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I can actually attest to this. I currently own an i5 4460. It does exactly what it says on the box. Quad core, 3.2Ghz w/ turbo to around 3.4Ghz.

I play a ton of games on it, from Company of Heroes 2, to Rome II (Shogun 2), Battlefield 3/4, to MMO's without any issues.

Does it have enough throughput to play these games without bottle-necking? Absolutely. Will I need to bump this up in a few years to an i7 or a higher rated i5? Most definitely. However, for the price point, you really cant go wrong.

If your criteria is that it has to Overclock, then you're looking at a "K" series CPU as those are the ones that are unlocked specifically for overclocking.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, I'm gonna try and help you out...

You don't really need a ton of CPU power to game. A lower end i5 will treat you well, but the unlocked (k) chips are a good investment for overclocking. If you don't buy an unlocked chip, you don't need a Z87/Z97 motherboard. You can grab a H87/H97 motherboard will great features and save some money. You might be able to get away with the stock cooler on a locked i5 too. Also, you're paying too much for 8GB of 1600MHz RAM. You can pay that price and grab 2133MHz for an extra boost.

Your storage is decently priced and you picked nice fans and a well rounded case. If you play your cards right, you can get away with either the unlocked chip or a R9 290 instead.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I already bought the PSU, ram, hardrive, and case.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Just grab a lower end i5 and H97 motherboard. You really don't need the unlocked chip and Z series board if you don't want it for the overclock.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube