add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rest In Peace RadioShack... (where do i buy speaker wire now?)

AceBalthazar
  • 62 months ago

so i went to the mall today (half forced to) and i saw a sign in from of RadioShack for a massive closing sale. i went over to it and EVERYTHING WAS GONE, even the shelving units. i learned that all their mall-based stores are closing within this week.

they had 10 dollar grab bag rushes (put everything you can in a plastic bag for ten bucks!) and people cleared it out very quickly. i arrived too late...

so now, a few words.

RadioShack, you amazing place, made me the nerd i am today. you were where i bought batteries, LED's, speaker wire, and all the assorted goods that any builder could want. you taught me to put things back together after tearing them apart.

It was here where i started my adventures in programming, first learning to make an LED blink in a half-random pattern to teaching a car-bot to chase my cat. it was here where i learned to jurry-rig antennas and and how to hack police frequencies to make a home-made scanner.

if i needed equipment to fix a stereo, RadioShack had it. if i needed assistance on why this stupid contraption wouldn't work, i found it in RadioShack.

you were the Parthenon to all nerds, i absorbed the holy grail of information you brought to us. i respected the acceptance of change you had, moving to selling mobile devices. i always hoped that society would change from the throw-away culture it was becoming. But it did not.

And so what had began as a nerd's dream and a builder's empire fell, crumbling to the power of laziness and fast internet. what had been a metropolis became a ghost town.

the only question i have now: where do i buy my speaker wire?

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/thanks-for-the-last-laugh-radioshack_o_4571843.jpg

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

I am with you, old school, and here I'll date myself: Radio Shack and Heathkit raised me! Well, thank god for internet and Amazon; at least with age, I've learned a bit more patience..

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

dude your username is awesome. and thank god for amazon, they have most of the stuff that Radioshack had, but not some of the more unique items

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man! Lol, love that movie. Yeah, I live where there are gators, wild hogs, and black bear - and rednecks; if it weren't for internet IT shopping, I'd shoot myself.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i classify myself as a redneck (all my family do too) , but I'm probably going to be the smartest redneck you never meet haha

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Hell, most of my friends do too lol.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

My local shops were emptied a few days ago too... I was so mad I missed the deals

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yea the deals were pretty crazy..

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

There are still a few locations left in my city that are still in business (Don't look like it until you walk up to the door but they are). I stopped in there a few days ago to get an Anti-Static strap and just found myself wandering around trying to see if there was anything cool I'd want to build. I've did my best to stay away from those places ever since they basically became a cell phone store but I might drop in soon to see if they have any of these deals you all speak of.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

so many components to use... there is one left near me but it's a really small store and they don't have much selection, ever.

and I'd hurry if you want some deals. there were like 5 stores within an hour drive time of me that closed yesterday

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Home Depot; you can buy by the foot, and they usually have a few colors available.

DjB

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

AutoZone usually has speaker wire as well. Price might be a little higher but it's something to keep in mind if you ever need it fast.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I've bought so many junction boxes and banana plug receptacles from RS... What's an engineering major to do??

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

In 8th grade I bought a small green "Getting Started In Electronics" by Forest Mims III from the local radio shack. That changed everything. Soon after I was spending my lunch money on resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. From that point on, any time I was in a pinch and needed a switch or some resistors, they were my go to place. I mean, Digi-key and Mouser are still viable, but it's not the same. Sad days.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Digi-Key and Jameco (though I tend to avoid Jameco when I can) are solid options, but there's just something about walking into a physical store that's so unapologetically like-minded and enthusiastic about electronics as you are that made every trip enjoyable, no matter the degree, without fail.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

i hear you man... i would've responded back but school's kept me busy... the store nearest me is having closing sales now and I've already dropped 150 bucks buying things. my store has literally pulled everything out the back and has everything at least half-off at this point.

woo audio equipment

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i have one of those giant analog antennas on the roof of my house (from way back when) that i use for a radio antenna. i needed a bunch of coax wire and all sorts of converters and connectors. i got them all at Radioshack.

i needed a ton of capacitors for a project i was doing between school and home. Radioshack had .5 farad capacitors in stock, which was absolutely wonderful.

I'm gonna miss the fact that i can't go to the store anymore and buy capacitors big enough to shock the crap out of you

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

alright i just got back on after a few months and realized that you commented on this. it is an honor. and i get what you mean. I'm a stereo fanatic and anytime i needed a weird wire, i went in and RadioShack had it. i have more Ethernet cable and speaker wire now than is logical

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i dunno man... the world is changing alot

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Kids these days with their MP5s and their unconscious acceptance of a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds...GET OFF MY LAWN!

DjB

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

there is no creativity anymore.. i didn't have iPads and iPhones when i was younger. i build stuff with Lego's and then i moved to electronic hardware and building stuff for fun

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

that's best for business since SPRINT BOUGHT RADIOSHACK .

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

did they? i thought that was up in the air still. a lot of stores are closing which isn't good for consumers because not all the stores are the same

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't bring politics into PCPP.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i saw the comment on my email. thought it was kinda funny, but way out of context and kinda ambiguous.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube