add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build. Opinions, advice, and thoughts welcome!

Sanna92
  • 61 months ago

I'm planning on building a PC primarily for gaming, recording, etc. and I just needed some opinions, advice, and thoughts on the parts list. Like if it is a good build or not. Thank you :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gPLTqs

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Any thoughts?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I redid several components to ones that are better or better value (all except the CPU cooler, 1 HDD, and operating system) but the main change was swapping the lower-end i5 to an FX-8320 with an accompanying motherboard. That plus other many changes saved so much money that I was able to include a second hard drive and upgrade the GPU to an R9 270 while ending just $5 over the original budget.

If you're doing screen capture you'll definitely want to be recording to a second HDD instead of doing everything off of your OS drive. That together with the FX-8320 will also help speed up editing (keep your software on one drive, put your raw video, renders, and exports on the second one).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $137.95 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $102.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $145.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $68.00 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $853.64
Mail-in rebates -$68.00
Total $785.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 00:33 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your input, though I did have a question. What's the difference between this processor and the i5 processor? LIke, with performance and such

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

Keep the i5. Newer socket, better upgrade path, lower power consumption, better single-core performance, etc,

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

No technical issues seen in the original parts list.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That's good to know. Anything else I should know?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

You left out the operating system. He has one in the list he posted. Also a CPU cooler, which isn't really necessary on a locked CPU but I guess he's going for lower noise.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

So the list that I posted the link to is ok? No one is really saying if it's a good build or not, haha

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

So is this a good build or....? No one is really saying if it is or not, haha

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube