add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Workstation Disk Setup Guide

LeMonarque
  • 62 months ago

So I wrote a guide on configuring a workstation disk setup for anyone who's interested.

I haven't seen much questioning about the subject in the 2 years that I've been part of this site and sort of assumed that it was getting ignored or wasn't recognized as particularly important beyond going with 1 SSD + 1 HDD and maybe having an external backup drive or RAID 0 on the OS drive. I think it's critically important for a fast workflow to go deeper than that, possibly even at the expense of that higher cost GPU, CPU cooler, case, or set of fans that you wanted.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/sGqqqs

Comments, suggestions, corrections, and questions are appreciated. It's a pretty long guide so let me know if a point gets lost or if I sound like I'm rambling.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I actually really needed this. The information really helped. Im working on kind of a budget work station guide and i could definitely use some feedback especially concerning storage if you wouldnt mind checking it out. http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/F68TwP/budget-photovideo-editing-build

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you could also post on the higher RAID levels (5,6) and how they can help to increase redundancy, I think that may help some people. I think RAID 5 is starting to fall out of use due to being not redundant enough though...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Those usually add a major cost to the configuration as RAID levels beyond 0, 1, or 10 are never good ideas without a dedicated RAID controller to run the array off of. Those range in the several hundreds to thousands of dollars for units that are of any good quality.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube