add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build Aesthetics

Ryoutarou97
  • 62 months ago

I am a huge fan of windowed cases, and I was wondering how much work goes into your aesthetics. I am willing to buy cable replacements and color coordinate components (maybe even a liquid loop, though that's more for performance. But that''s about where I cut off. What are your approaches? Any "these are custom sleeved cables sleeved in hair from llamas I raised since childhood dyed red with the blood of my ancestors and soldered with a flame that has been kept alive for 1000 years!" kinds of people out there? Yes, I do know that's not how soldering works.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Always, looks cost money. OTOH, when the day is done, that "deal" you got will fade while a good looking system pays dividends every time you look at it. It also depends on your setup. If the system is going to be buried somewhere, cool looking insides are not going to be as important as a decent exterior. Buy accordingly.

I went with a colour scheme, spent extra for better looks and yet didn't sacrifice a thing performance wise. I figure a 10% premium over something regular and probably not that much because I made sure of sales. I think my system looks great and am very happy that I went the route I did. For the most part there really isn't that much of that weirdness so prevalent in the audio world with computer stuff. Just be patient and research all your options.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Given the money I'd start with color coordinating the main parts, then picking a windowed case of a fitting color (color of the mobo or a complimenting white/black/grey), then getting some fans that work with the look, then getting some premade cable replacements or extensions, and finally some LED strips. I stop short of sleeving the cables myself.

Personally I think that you can make any windowed build look great just with good cable management. Helps if the case is a color that's impossible to dislike such as black.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really care about aesthetics in the case. I mean, if you're looking at the case, you aren't looking at your monitor...

I hear Corsair has some colored PSU cable replacements. I don't think anyone does sleeved SATA cables or the like... I think only Phanteks has CPU coolers in multiple colors... That is, they have the same model but color it differently.

If you do a custom watercooling setup, you're able to do some pretty "interesting" things with the liquid and piping layout. Good for those rare colors on a motherboard, like green...

Just be careful selecting parts based on appearance before performance. I think it may be better to just build a few good-performing variations on the computer you would like, then look into seeing if anything falls into place and you like it. Then you can do some swap-outs for complementary colors or the like. (Even a simple "Anyone know of a MB that performs similar to XXX but in color YYY?" post)

This is what happens when you put aesthetics before practicality: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-vl300a9n1n & https://pcpartpicker.com/part/inwin-case-sframe

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I DO care about aesthetics! I didn't really know that until i built a pretty rig with a window for viewing. For the first week after it was completed I spent equal time staring at the damn thing as I did actually using it! I'm kind of bummed that I don't have a whole lot more tinkering i can really do with this build. Is it crazy that I'm considering doing another build just because I have an extra gtx 760 sitting in a closet? I mean, I DO only have three computers in a 4 person household! : )

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Some people just want a sleeper car, some like a full blown in your face sports car and some just want a Mitsubishi Eclipse that looks good but nothing in the gut haha (since they don't want or can't afford it)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally like the idea of custom lighting and a limited amount of custom painting. I'm all for custom cables and a matching color scheme.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're the closest to my personal approach. I will color coordinate my parts and maybe paint a design on the PSU or cover up some color that doesn't fit with the system, custom cables aren't expensive and look great, so I will use those too. I like LED fans, but if I need more light I'm not aversed to LED strips.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I typically go with LED strips over fans is because of RGB lighting. Sometimes I want it to have white lighting, other times I want red.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose, although I prefer to have the lighting match my secondary (black or white being primary) color.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube