add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Value low-TDP Haswell

feuGene
  • 61 months ago

I just selected and bought my chip: a Pentium G3220T, 35 W, $50. I thought someone else might get value out of this analysis I did.

I was aiming for the cheapest low-TDP Haswell I could possibly get. At first I was eyeing the Celeron G1820T, because passmark.com listed it on their chart "All-time [best] Price [for] Performance". It seems $44 is the going rate for a used G1820T on eBay (free shipping), and that's what I was about to buy.

But then I saw a few other Haswell models on eBay too. Turns out there are 35 W Pentiums as well, which have a 3 MB L3 cache (vs. the Celeron's 2 MB). There are two classes of 35 W Pentiums, one for DDR 3-1333 and another for DDR3-1600. I focused on the DDR3-1333 class, and really only one chip was available for sale anywhere: the G3220T. It goes for $49.95 (shipped) on eBay (used).

I compared the two and determined for myself that the Pentium G3220T is a better value than the Celeron G1820T.

To calculate price per performance for each, I divided the price by the passmark value. Then I subtracted the two $/passmark values and divided that by the G1820T's $/passmark, to determine what percentage premium $/passmark I'm paying extra for the G3220T. It came out to be about 8% more in $/passmark for the G3220T.

Then I went back to the original passmark ratings for each chip, subtracted them, and divided them by the G1820T's passmark value, in order to determine what percentage premium in performance the G3220T has. It came out to about 9%.

So, I figured, I'm paying 8% more money in exchange for 9% more performance. That sounded like a good deal to me.

(I also compared the higher-end Pentium G3450T (the fastest 35 W Pentium, w/DDR3-1600) to the G1820T. It was something like 20% higher cost for %12 more performance. I'm going for value, so I decided against that hike.)

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_%28microarchitecture%29#Desktop_processors passmark.com ebay.com Google Shopping

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Benchmark performance is a far cry from indicating real world performance. You're actually paying 8% more money for far less than 9% more performance. I'm betting that you aren't thinking of building a PC just to have it run Passmark all day, so I would absolutely not base your purchase so heavily off of that.

Anyways, even if you did get 9% more performance, why would that even matter for the kinds of computational loads done on Pentium systems?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The decision I based on that 8%/9% stuff was just whether to spend $44 or $55. I didn't need a whole weight of evidence to convince myself to spend another $11 on my CPU. I guess my sarcasm went unwritten.

Really all I wanted to do was draw attention to this chip. That Celeron has that prominence on passmark.com, and there are tons of articles talking about the low-TDP i3's, but no one (in low-TDP-style articles) is talking about this in-between chip, my Pentium.

I spent hours digging through articles and correlating that wikipedia Haswell list to Google Shopping in order to find this chip, and I thought might save the time for someone else.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You can manualy enter your parts. Just click on "add custom part" abit below.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube