add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

gtx 970 a 3.5 gb vram card?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

I like this article. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876802/nvidia-plans-geforce-gtx-970-driver-update-for-memory-performance-concerns.html Seems to be level headed. People (vast majority) who will likely never be affected by this issue are abandoning ship. I'm sticking with my choice of this card. Simply because all the benchmarks are still accurate for what this card can do.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

i honestly don't think it's about the performance anyway. i think it's people feeling like they were lied to.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly. People are jumping ship even though they're gaming at VRAM levels below even 3GB. The performance is still there below 3.5..

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Might be good to wait and see if NVIDIA has anything to see about this :P

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Im honestly hoping its just a software issue. Because if its not, its bad news. I just find it hard to believe that if it was just a software issue, nvidia would address it and reassure it will he fixed. I was wondering why ive been seeing used 970s for sale.....

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Apparently it's a firmware issue. Nvidia is working on figuring out what the issue is, and then board partners will probably come out with new BIOS versions for each card. Still, the inexperienced end user may end up bricking their card, so this isn't a perfect solution.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

This is why I was skeptical about the new cards having 256-bit memory buses. No matter how much firmware wizardry they do, it still won't entirely make up for the fact that the card SHOULD have a 384-bit bus. It was the exact same thing with my old 4GB 770. That said, I don't need more than 3GB for 1080P, and in SLI, they should still be able to use all 4, due to the combined bus width.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I understand correctly, the 970 can't access that 0.5GB of extra memory because it's bound to the disabled SMs? Damn you, Nvidia!

That said, it isn't totally hopeless, and I've heard of people enabling disabled functionality on Nvidia cards before via firmware wizardry (enabling double precision on GeForce cards, etc.), so I'm still holding out for a possible firmware fix, that somehow enables the memory functionality in the disabled SMs. Either way, this bug is only going to really be a problem for people playing at higher than 1080P, so I should be clear for now.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=ZQE6p5r1tYE seems to be a actual issue for some users like this guy. some people are saying there 970 works fine above 3.5. freaking nvidia-gate man lol

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Weird. It must affect some more than others, because I never have this issue with FC4. Might have something to do with the way different manufacturers layout the PCB, and the memory chips on it, but that's just me speculating.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

some are saying its Samsung memory vs hynix

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, there is the principle of being lied to, but it's still a great card and I'm not a fanboy either. I just like what I have seen about this cards abilities. I will wait for an firmware update (if it's going to happen). I haven't had a comp for 6 years and I finally got my system narrowed down to what will be an extremely good system. Gtx 970 included.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube