add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AntiVirus with Internet Exp 11 metro version

WoodCutter3

52 months ago

Greetings all, I have Trend Micro antivirus plus on my Windows 8.1 laptop. That A/V product has a system where it rates the security level of websites and links before you click on them much like Norton, McAfee and others. I noticed the other day when I was using the metro version of IE 11 that the rating system does not appear on search results or anything else when using that version. I contacted Trend micro by chat and they told me that the metro version of IE11 is not a supported browser for that feature. I then asked them if their antivirus product was even working in the backround when using that browser. The person I happened to get on the chat said that they thought that it was but their answer sounded more like a guess than a certainty.

I was wondering if any of you more technically minded people out there might know if the metro version of Internet Explorer is still protected by AntiVirus software even when there is no visible signs of the software? I noticed before I switched to Trend Micro, that the Notron trialware version would not even install it's safe search toolbar on that browser.... Thanks in advance for any responses. Robert

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

According to Microsoft's website, try these:

1. Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
  2. Tap or click the Tools button (the gear), and then tap or click Manage add-ons.
  3. Under Show, tap or click All add-ons.

See anything relating to TrendMicro?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Lachlantula, Yes in the add-on section of the desktop version of Internet Explorer, the Trend Micro is active. In fact, the Trend micro toolbar is on the home page as are search and link rating checkmarks. The issue is that the modern (Metro) version of the browser (which I actually like very much) has none of those things apparent. The weird thing is I can't seem to find how to get into the add-on settings of the Metro style browser, only the desktop one. The two act like separate browsers and unfortunately its hard to know if the security software is actually working or not. I'm sure not going to try and FIND malware somewhere to find out!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, thanks for the information. A quick Google reveals that the Metro version of Internet Explorer doesn't support any add-ons or plugins except Flash, which is a shame.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that it didn't. I wish I was more tech savvy. I don't know if not supporting add-ons or plugins means that the antivirus software will not do its job if I happen to click on some malware somewhere. I may have to get used to using the boring old desktop version of IE 11 again. At least it plays nice with Trend Micro.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This website helps with tech-savvy issues :P Ahh, my favourite website :D The antivirus will be fine, but you just can't use the Browser Security.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube