add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$800 programming computer

albg96

58 months ago

This computer is going to be mostly used for programming while I go through college. I will be playing some games but nothing to fancy just basic ones like Minecraft, super smash bros netplay, and a couple of steam games. I'm hoping the GPU will be enough for me to dabble in 3D game design as well (unity3D says anything made after 2004 will do). The three most important things this computer needs is a strong cpu, ssd of about 128GB, and as much ram as possible (probably about 16GB's). I also need a monitor of about 24in (so i can have two documents on either half and can easily view both). I have the mouse, keyboard, and OS. I also don't plan on overclocking so I shouldn't be needing an aftermarket CPU cooler. Hopefully this isn't asking to much and let me know if it is so i can re-evaluate what I need.

Requirements:

• Good processor probably a xeon e3 to save money like this one (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3)
  • SSD with at least 128GB also 1TB HD
  • 16GB's of RAM
  • 24in monitor (can go a little smaller if needed)
  • A case that comes with all needed fans or fans that'll actually attach (on my last computer the fans I bought couldn't even attach to the case)
  • GPU that can handle some games on medium and some 3D design (probably don't need anything over $150 but i'm not an expert on GPU's)
  • Some room to expand in the future
  • Basic optical drive
  • $800 or under

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping! =)

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You already seem to know what you need. My suggestion would be to make something YOU think works well. What ever we recommended wouldn't deviate much from what you've already suggested.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I didnt say this cuz it didnt change much but this is for a friend. I already have my own computer that I picked everything for. Just didnt know enoug to make a quick part list for my friend like most of the people on this forum do. In my current computer I didnt have a low budget like this and was able to drop $2000 on it. So I dont know any of the powerful but budget friendly parts.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Already at budget with no monitor or GPU so you may need to go AMD to include everything you're asking for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $263.95 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $129.58 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ Directron
Case Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $64.78 @ NCIX US
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Directron
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $794.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-19 19:09 EST-0500
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd be willing to go AMD if needed. Just from what I heard and researched Intel is more powerful/ reliable and has the hyper-threading. However if you know of any AMD processors that can compete with intel's new i7's/e3's I'd be open to it.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD won't compete. They might be able to compete against the i5s in a lot of tasks but the i7s and Xeons are simply better here.

I'd suggest a i7 and then use a weaker PSU than the one Shark's suggesting.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

yea thats what I thought. and yea I could probably save $40 on a lower watt PSU

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Al tough it would likely make the thing a bit less upgradable in the future.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Although rethinking this maybe the 8 cored AMD wouldn't be too bad. It wouldn't be as good as a i7 but the cores make up for it slightly and it would allow you better graphics and the monitor whilst remaining under budget. Maybe the 8350 and the r9 285.

I need to look up how the software he's using manages cores but this would theoretically work fine.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

And everything utterly changes if we find out hes using 3dMAX or another tool to generate graphics because everything can be unloaded to the GPU for that and get massive performance.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

from what I've been reading an i5 will do well in programming. I know absolutely nothing on AMD processors however if you say that AMD can compete with the i5's perhaps it'd be best to switch to a high powered AMD processor and save the extra money for a decent GPU and monitor.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

He could maybe save $30 on a PSU with lower wattage but there's no way you can do an i7 build with that list of requirements for 800. I never recommend AMD over Intel but certain budgets just don't allow the best parts.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an AMD FX-6300 and it works perfectly for programming :D

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reassurance.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a build with a average GPU. Should let you play most games on medium settings with 60+ average FPS. Couldn't find much about dabble in 3d game design but this GPU should be fine.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.78 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $119.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair SPEC-03 Orange ATX Mid Tower Case $56.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $793.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-19 19:26 EST-0500
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

That GPU should be fine for 3D game design and running my casual gaming. Do you know any good priced 4GB ram sticks? I'm thinking I could save some money by downgrading to 12GB of RAM and then perhaps save $30 by switching to this PSU: pcpartpicker. That should free up a little of money for the monitor. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Yea here's the build with 12gb of ram and an even cheaper PSU. However, it would just be better to get the 16gb of ram now since another 4gb stick of memory would actually be about $15 more than the 2x8gb memory kit.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.78 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill NS Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $32.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair SPEC-03 Orange ATX Mid Tower Case $56.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $732.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-19 20:04 EST-0500
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

hmmm then the cheaper PSU would free up $40 toward a monitor since I might as well keep the 16GB's of RAM like you said. A decent monitor would cost around $120 which would put me $80 over budget. That might be manageable. Thanks for the help! I think that GPU will be a good fit for my build after I do some budgeting.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a pretty good monitor as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve247h

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. That is a good moniter with a low response time. I also like the built in speakers

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube