add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

This is what I replaced =)

morganm

63 months ago

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B970jQkzNENIS05RUnIyRFZkTWc&authuser=0

I'm normally not THIS bad so I should explain how I got here... For the last 5 or 6 years I've been buying super cheap desktops that came from businesses who were lifecyling their equipment. I'd get a decent computer for a stupid low price, throw in a PSU, a GPU, and have a good computer for several years. Repeat every 2 or 3 years. I try to buy mid towers but on this one I couldn't resist getting a Core 2 Quad for such a good price... only draw back was the stupid small "slim" case.

It's a Dell 540 Slim. Could only find one acceptable power supply to power my GPU and it was at a premium price. Had to buy the low profile version of the GPU I wanted; again a premium price. However it all worked well and I was happy. It would pull 30 to 50 FPS in most games on a mix of High and Medium settings.

Then the fan goes on the PSU. So I RMA it and in a week or so I'm up and running again. Must have been a fluke. Nope... month later fan goes out again. Same symptoms too; it gets noisy, randomly stops, and eventually stops working all together. I guess they put the cheapest junk fan possible in what may be an OK PSU.

I even went so far as to RMA one more time but buy an after market fan, open up the PSU, clip the wires, and wire in a better fan. That worked for several more months but that stupid thing gave out too. Enough! I grabbed my standard ATX 800watt PSU I keep in the spare parts drawer, slapped it on the table, popped off the panel, wired it all up... and it worked great for 6 months =)

I've since took all that stuff out and put it into a nice case for my daughter. She'll have a nice Christmas =.^=

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Sounds like an old so-called "bookcase" computer I built ages ago as my home network gateway. One day after about eight years of continuous service, the power supply dies, and replacements that will fit in the case were non-existent. So I grabbed an old PS from a disused desktop machine, snaked the Molex connectors through the back panel, and the machine continued to work for another year.

After that, the 400MHz Celeron finally said, "Enough!" and died outright. I've since replaced the whole thing with an HP N54L. Adorable little box...

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

A man after my own heart!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

lolololol what often happens is the high quality ones die fast, and the cheap ones outlive them at least for me.

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

the GPU I had recommended 400w. I guess 300 may have been ok. It was hard finding ANYTHING. Doesn't matter now; I moved it all over to a midtower ATX case for my daughter.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube