add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build Underway! It's been over 10 years... little rusty... =)

morganm

63 months ago

I was trying to think back... the last FULL system build, ground up, I did was... I think... either my K6-2 300mhz or my P2 Slot1 500mhz. Everything since then has been upgrading hand-me-downs from friends or building up refurbished business class desktops.

Here's the build I'm working on :
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/morganm/saved/rP6ypg

I have the case setup and the motherboard in it. Backing plate and brackets on the MB for the NH-D14. About to put in the PSU and call it a night. Was hoping UPS would drop off the last remaining parts today but I guess not =/

Got the PSU in and routed all the cables from the front panel nicely. This is kind new to me... I never route cables =) I should snap a pick of my current SNAFU.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Final parts came today and I spend several hours... pushed through some problems... and I'm posting this on my new build!!!!!!@)#$*&)@!

I think this is truly the first time I ever POST'd right out the gate, no problems, no freak'n beep codes, no fixing something... it just worked. Installed Windows, core drivers, few apps, and it's sooooooooo fast.

Really glad I went with the SSD. It's nuts; like... everything is faster just because stuff isn't waiting on some slow 5400 RPM cheap drive like I always used in the past.

Very quiet too! Can't believe it's so quiet with these monster fans but I guess that's the point... big fans... slower speeds... more CFM... less noise... amirite?

Putting that Noctua NH-D14 was a serious PITA but I think it finally all went well. Watched the temps in the BIOS before I installed Windows and it was stable. Loaded up HWMonitor and everything looks good. I'll do a Prime95 test tomorrow; I think it's safe to leave on overnight and download Planetside 2 =)

I'll post some pics I took as I built it. Hopefully tomorrow but sometime this week. I still have to build my sons AMD rig and move everything from my old rig to my daughter's new case.

Thanks for everyone's help and for this awesome website!

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Too late now =) Already bought and delivered. I think it will be fine. Strikes me as the most rad PSU I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Ran many systems off far inferior junk and only blew a few components over the decades =P

Yeah I do stay up on technology. I work in a pretty high tech field. I haven't built a fully system in a long time but I've been doing regular tech refreshes every few years. Last 5 or so years I've been buying these refurbished business desktops at a stupid low price, throwing in a PSU, and GPU... they work great. Constantly helping family with their computer problems. Falling behind hasn't really been an option.

Defiantly fun building a full system again.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube