add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Thefan630

59 months ago

So, reading and getting to know something about Anti-virus and Anti-malware programs, and soon enough I need to decide for one for my new pc (although my laptop has been running anti-virus free for nearly 1 year :V ), I kinda feel I will need it for my new build. And I have some questions from the community to ask, in this case, more like a "HELP ME CHOOSE, I'M DESPERATE". Maybe not desperate, and I would try with different Anti-viruses, but that maybe along with the years to gain experience. I want, from the start, to get the best possible option I could get so, here are the questions:

• I'm not sure if I should go with an anti-virus, anti-malware, or a combo of both. I mainly surf the internet, which could make my pc subjected to malware, but I know how to safely browse, so maybe an anti-virus. Or just a combination of both?
  • Anyhow, the software should be a light but efficient Anti-virus, with only the tools a person needs: Scans and protection, no Syncronisation and other BS like that, I don't need that slowing my start-up times and general performance
  • It should be free

I will then, from people feedback and results from AV-comparatives (and a look at the aesthetics) decide on one. Optionally, it can be Windows 8.X conflict free.

Thank you!

Edit: I've decided to go with Avira, according to tests, it's the best free Anti-virus (performance-wise), any feedback though is still welcome!

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

AVG is really good, super lightweight and it has saved me a couple times.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh AVG, I liked it, installed it on an old laptop and my grandparents PC. I like the approach this anti virus takes, but it didn't succeed so much on the test compared to others. But always a back up plan AVG ^

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi, I suggest you try the AVG or Avira anti viruses. Both are good in performance. You can feel safe. So try anyone of above antivirus to secure your computer.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Bitdefender

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I've seen very nice performance tests on it, but I can't seem to find the free version on their website, only (like Kaspersky) a stupid free 1 time virus scan

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried that, it re-routes me to the homepage.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I just use win 8 / win defender. Not the best, but it works for me.

I feel it's important to proactively reduce your risk profile rather than concentrating on antivirus/malware to stop something you already got. The main thing that means is running Chrome or Firefox rather than IE, and running adblock with solid list sets and flashblock in the browser. This pretty much ensures you can't get the "maladvertisements" for example, whether or not they have been recognized and signatures/definitions been added to the AV database.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I know what you mean, and I also do that. The laptop I'm currently working on, and I use Chrome and Adblock, has had no Anti-virus for nearly 1 year. I know how to safely work on my pc, so said. Yet I find that a better AV than Win 8 (in this case I'm kinda keen to Avira) is something good, and common sense can't avoid all viruses.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Hoo boy, I mistyped that. I meant win7/MSE which I think in win8 is called win defender. But I don't have any win8 systems yet so technically everything is MSE.

I agree that having AV running is a good idea. My point really is that I went for the maximum performance / minimum hassle or maintenance solution because I think it's less critical if you take a multi-layered approach to security.

No doubt common sense can't avoid everything, hence my mention of maladvertisements which have even been used to deliver CryptoWall 2.0 recently - and this was the likely route of infection for my brother's workplace. :( Probably would have been prevented if they had been using the browser plugins I specify for my own machines regardless of AV status.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

All hail our saviour Adblock ;)

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya win8 merges Security Essentials with Defender

I just use Defender(antivirus and anti-malware in win8), malwarebytes and the ghostery plugin for firefox.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Ghostery doesn't improve your security, only your trackability -- and a similar effect can be had if you put the right lists into adblock. So it's still not as secure as well-set-up adblock and flashblock.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I never said it did. I merely stated what I use.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Linux?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you serious? Read my post again

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I read it - twice now. Please be nice; I'm only trying to brainstorm here, but it seems to me that if you're mostly just browsing the internet, and you need strong virus protection, just using Linux for a guest OS would be a very strong solution.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I do know that. I may install later a second drive with Linux but right now, I'll go with what I have. Still, thanks

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

you don't have to do any of that, though. What I'm saying is this: run linux inside windows using something like virtualbox as a security layer for your browsing experience.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

That's an option too. I've probably did or I do know and do many things you're mentioning, I just don't keep them on my head :D Hint: I'm studying IT.

[comment deleted]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Everyone knows Norton is **** :P

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube