add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$800 is my budget... how about this build?

morganm

63 months ago

[EDIT] See new build sheet below. Based on great feed back I upgraded CPU, MB, GPU, and PSU for very little change in cost.

I know... I went over $800 so keep that in mind with your suggestions... not a dollar more =) The SSD I had ended up being pretty low performance and spending another $13 got a lot more bang for my buck. Originally had the Corsair Force LS then switched to the OCZ Vector 150. Here's where I based most of that analysis: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vector_150_ssd_review (scroll way down)

I'm dead set on this CPU as I've done a stupid amount of research and have a pretty specific use case. I play Planetside 2 almost exclusively which has never performed as well on AMD and is a notorious CPU pig. You can often get 500 players in the same area all shooting projectiles at each other that all have their own rate of fire, velocity, trajectory, damage drop off based on distance, cone of fire... and all hit detection is client side. Other games I play are MechWarrior Online, Starcraft 2:WoL, and Minecraft but that's usually only when Planetside 2 is down =P

Is this a good motherboard? Again done a lot of research but is there anything better for less? I never plan on getting a 5th gen CPU so if I do I'll just get a new MB. Traditionally I don't overclock... I did a decade ago but haven't felt that gutsy in a while =) However it's not totally out of the question.

How about a case? I don't want to spend over $100 on a case. Have my eye on this one: Raidmax ATX-298WY ATX Mid Tower http://pcpartpicker.com/part/raidmax-case-atx298wy

I know I've compromised on the GPU and could get a cheaper CPU+MB and better GPU. However given my use case I believe I'll get the most out of my money with a better CPU+MB than skimping on that to get more GPU. Plus GPUs come down in price so quickly I can pick up one that's awesome in a couple quarters for the same or less than what I paid for this one. So if I'm really bottlenecked I'll deal with that later.

Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.97 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $69.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $118.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ Vector 150 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $87.95 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $169.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $849.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-31 11:34 EDT-0400

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M7BsvK

Same cost pretty much but newer and better quality parts. Case i linked is great for its price compared to cases such as raidmax which i personally think are rubbish.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Good call on the CPU.

Why this motherboard?

What does the gold star rating on the PSU bring to the table?

Why do you like that case? I'm having a hell of a time with cases. All I can find is good info on expensive ones.

Thanks for the input and look forward to your answers!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Using a z87 board with a haswell-e cpu requires a bios flash which cannot be done on most boards unless you have a haswell cpu laying around or take it to a technician costing more $$. It is also more newer using the z97 platform which has some newer features like sata express and whatnot.

I personally find gold/plat psu's better build quality. If you leave your pc on often then gold rating psu's reduce your electricity bill which can save you money over time.

Case wise i find nzxt make good quality cases. I use a h440 myself as i like the clean look. I find most cases at that price range look really flimsy. There are plenty more under $100 but i just chose a case similar priced to the one you chose.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

When I picked the Asus Z87-A ATX I looked up the specs. Says it supports 4th gen i5 CPUs. It also says it supports SATA 3 6gb/s. Is this because they ship with newer BIOS if you get a new one but older ones on the shelf may have older BIOS that may not actually support these things?

Good point on the PSU. I leave mine running 24/7 and usually a heavy app like planetside 2.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

It supports both because it is the same socket. But generally most if not all z87 boards with will a bios flash to be able to use haswell-e. z97 are much more future proof and the price is no different between the 2. z97 also has m.2 slot which the z87 does not.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Does my SSD have to specifically support m.2 or do all newer SSDs use it?

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

forgot to change cpu to yours, downgraded the cooler, upgraded the mobo, upgraded the gpu, upgraded the psu (750w overkill but its on sale and cheap right now)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.97 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $102.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $169.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $727.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 18:54 EDT-0400
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't need 750w for that build, swap out the PSU for this gold rated one; http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr

You know you'll need a storage drive right? 128GB will fill up real quick

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i already said that its an overkill but you get more watts and it costs the same as a lot of good 600w 650w psus, if anything get a modular one or semi if you wanna spend the same price on less watts. but i guess if the bronze gold rating thing is important to you then yeah you can go for the gold rated one. and i didnt put a hdd in the build cause he didnt have one in his original build so i assume he already has one.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Was just helping with the PSU, gold rated does make a difference, and this was the same price to buy.

Comment about storage was to the poster.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah idk imo psu importance goes amount of watts, modular semi or non, then the bronze, silver, gold rating. The efficiency difference from bronze to gold is only like 5%.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Additional storage is covered outside this build.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Why do I need that motherboard? Some would say Asus is higher quality. So what features on that board do I need?

Why downgrade the cooler?

GPU is the same; did you forget to change it? You mentioned it was upgraded but it's the same one I picked.

Not saying you're wrong anywhere; just wondering why you made the changes as they reasons are not obviouse to me.

Thanks!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Well firstly a z97 is an upgraded version of a z87 and is around the same price so why not? But the main difference is the PCI-E m.2 slot which allows for faster transfer speeds from your SSD.

The cooler is downgraded because that 20$ one will do just a good a job as the 70$ one you chose. Youre not doing anything to crazy with the cpu that requires you to get a 70$ cooler. On a $800 budget build people don't usually put that much into the cooler, some don't even get an aftermarket cooler because it's just an 800$ build.

GPU is a r9 280, you have a r9 270x.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

When I picked the Asus Z87-A ATX I looked up the specs. Says it supports 4th gen i5 CPUs. It also says it supports SATA 3 6gb/s. Is this because they ship with newer BIOS if you get a new one but older ones on the shelf may have older BIOS that may not actually support these things?

GPU is a good idea; says the same price BUT... I clicked the link to NewEgg where PC Part Picker says it's a $30 mail in rebate and on NewEgg it only shows a $15 rebate. Can't figure out where the other $15 is coming from. That means it's actually $195 =/

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand that a z87 is compatible, but so is a z97 which is an upgraded version for the same price so why not? And transfer speeds with a SATA 3 6 gb/s peak at 600 mb/s while a SSD connected through a PCI-E m.2 slot will transfer at 2 gb/s. Technically you are fine with that mobo just don't get why you wanna spend the same money on a less updated version of a mobo. It's like a 2013 civic being the same price as a 2014 civic, and you choosing the 2013.

As for the GPU it was quite a while ago that I made that build with that price GPU prices could have gone up again.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Edited initial post with new build sheet. Thanks for all the great input!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

QUESTION: Will there be any interference between that cooler, VRM heat sinks, RAM, etc ?

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

that brand for the GPU has a lot of complaints about the coil whine. if you dont care about noise then its fine but msi which is a better known brand sells it for the same price as the 270x you chose. a lot of those PSUs come DOA, but in the chance it doesn't theyre good. kind of an overkill on the cpu cooler, could just get the cooler master 212 for half the price and itd be just as good, and can spend the money you saved on a z97 mobo since you have a SSD.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't mind overkill on the cooler =) I MAY do some overclocking; nothing extreeme but that's why I wouldn't mind a good cooler.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

that 20$ cooler will be fine for what youre planning on doing.

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

? if youre talking about the psu read the reviews. not all of them come doa but a good enough amount of them do to cause concern.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

XFX PSU's are rebranded Seasonic, generally regarded as the best money can buy....

Powercolor I would be wary of, very budget brand

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Why that HDD? The one I picked has better performance. Not concerned with capacity; I have slave drives for that.

I too saw the PowerColor when I was looking at R9 280s but I'd never heard of them and figured there's reason it's much cheaper. Do you consider it an upgraded and why?

Why do you like that case? I've had a tough time getting any good data on cheap cases.

Do you consider that PSU an upgrade? If so why?

I do like the price point of your build; Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry; I think we simply disagree on most of these points. I do appreciate you taking the time to give your options though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube