add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Pahlehvahn

56 months ago

My gaming build ahould be done tommorow! I'll be playing Eso, Wow, Bf4,etc. And probably not going to surf the web very much so should I still get antivirus? Its Windows 8.1 just in case you wanna know.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Windows 8 automatically has an antivirus system installed (Windows Defender), I'd keep it on just in case you do go on the internet, it certainly won't have a negative effect.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Same for windows 8.1. And do I do download a seperate antivirus on it.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get AVG or bitdefender. They are free and work well.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't NEED to get one, but I've always run a light weight free one, just in case. Try AVG free, and turn off the automatic scanning. This coupled with Windows build in firewall (or a third party one) should be fine.

If you're still unsure about Malware you could get Malbytes anti-malware free and just run it every now and again to clean your system.

Good luck!

[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Use the free one that comes with Windows -- MSE or Windows Defender depending on your operating system. Then fuhgedaboudit.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

just use the free microsoft av...

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

You really don't need a Antivirus, but it's always nice to have one. It's pointless to pay for one when you can do a little bit of searching and find a decent one for free.

I would advise Avast, I personally use it but some would say it's a "heavy" program. The best antivirus is using common sense though :)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for Avast or Malwarebytes even if you not going to surf to web very much, you would definitely not want your new gaming PC to get infected.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I support getting Malbytes anti-malware free, its definitely something to get with whatever you have bundled with windows IMO. If you are just gaming and not really browsing the internet it might still be important especially if you are into modding (some shady downloads sometimes).

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Installing antivirus is like voluntarily inflicting malware upon oneself. It's gonna slow down your system no matter what some people are gonna be telling you. Don't fool yourself. It's guaranteed while actual being infected is pretty slim chance. The slimmer the more foolproof your Internet behavior is.

If you want, read what some IT heavy-hitters have to say on the topic: http://blog.codinghorror.com/blacklists-dont-work/ but basically just disable all unnecessary browser plugins (like Java), check all install files you're going to execute (eg. on VirusTotal) before you've done it and just don't venture on the Internet where you shouldn't and you're gonna be fine.

Alternatively, if you are still scared enough, you can just dump Windows down the drains where it belongs and install some sane, UNIX-based OS and forget about dealing with this kind of problems.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Use K7 antivirus with malware remover tool. It makes your system free from virus and malware attacks.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If you truly aren't going to be surfing the web and downloading stuff on this system... then no; you don't really need it.

I would be super cautious about what I brought over or did download though. Like if you use another system to download games / mods and then transfer over to the gaming system. Be sure you are scanning and cleaning anything before transfering it .

Honestly though any modern gaming system should have no issues running antivirus in the background. If you're that strapped for cycles and resources just disable it before you play or only enable it when you are going to surf the web / download stuff.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube