add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

new computer, what anti virus?

footballhono52

66 months ago

So I've looked all over the internet for good anti virus software and for every single one there's half great reviews half horrible reviews. I've been looking into bitdefender internet security and avg but I've seen good things and bad things said about it.

Its hard to narrow down what software to use when all the reviews are almost the same.

Also I'm just throwing this out there. I've seen that people have said that they don't use self bought software they use the integrated security system in windows 8. Is it worth it getting a secondary software or go with the free one built into windows?

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 4 points

I used to use Avast but it got a lot heavier in the last year or so. I like AVG pretty well. But with win7 I use MSE and I'm plenty happy with it. I'm careful in general so I don't need a lot of protection, therefore I'm primarily looking for my AV solution to be light on resources which MSE is.

Here's an article suggesting the average person shouldn't run it, but it's great for "geeks". Count me in: http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

Stop reading "reviews" and read third party test reports: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Don't be afraid to try some various ones out. AV-comparatives and your own common sense and judgment of what's best for you is really all you need here.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

"it downloaded itself" That sounds like an eye dee 10 tee error.

As I said, I don't use it anyway. Not sure why you see the need to pan it in response to a comment from 3 months earlier, without even comparing it to anything else -- which may have been useful.

• 66 months ago
  • 3 points

I like Avast and Malwarebytes. I really can't recommend Bitdefender due to terrible customer service.

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

avast!

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

does avast have a firewall?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I'm pretty sure. I use a separate one though.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, both are free and are very good.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

never heard of superantispyware but i was considering getting malwarebytes

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

For the install it, configure it and forget about it users, Kaspersky Internet Security is popular. Their 3 user version goes on sale every few months for around $20.00?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with AVG http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage or Immunet http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html . They are the best in the market.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I like to use avast but heard rave reviews about quickheal and hence shifted to it recently.. it's working fine as of now :)

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Free: I Have tried Avast and AVG. Prefer AVG. Paid: I have had McAfee and Norton (HATED both) NOD32 ESTS I liked a lot.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going on a year of just the built in Windows 8 security on 2 machines... Never had an issue.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

try quickheal antivirus. they have multiple options depending on your requirements. i loved it because its user friendly and till date i have not faced any issues using it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

this is still alive? wow, i use kaspersky anti-virus, i got it for free with a MIR a few days ago.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Try K7 antivirus. Really you will feel the difference after installing this software.Additionally use malwarebytes for more protection.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube