add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I've never used anti-virus, because it slows down my computers. Is there anti-virus that won't kill my performance?

mistertime

59 months ago

This is an especially annoying problem. My past... 3, 4... heck, all of my computers so far have been crap. I'm on a P4 box with 1 GB RAM right now. I can type faster than this thing can register me typing. So, since I don't expect my next few computers to be any better than my current one, is there any anti-virus is there that doesn't toss performance out the window? I've tweaked and hacked and tuned my PCs to the point that they actually run decently, and I'd prefer not to obliterate all this effort with anti-virus. So, there wouldn't happen to be any anti-virus that lets me render Cycles without taking 3 hours per frame, would there?

EDIT: Running on $1100 laptop now, there's no way anti-virus should slow this down. But it still does...

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Believe or not, the newer integrated Windows security essentials a/v suite is a sufficient balance of security and performance. Plus its free..No A/V will stop everything, when hackers are testing exploits they will test detection with all the popular A/Vs to see what level of encoding will avoid detection.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Only issue with that is that on occasion for unknown reasons that Microsoft techs never seem to be able to answer, it uses a ton of cpu at all times... This only happens to some people, but it does happen. Mine went 3 years till it happened without reason. Only way to get it to act normal again is reinstall Windows. I just turned mine off.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Kaspersky Security runs like a charm have it better than Norton

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

avast! keeps my CPU usage under 5% on every Windows PC I've used.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think CPU usages is what is slowing you down, 1GB of ram is a very low amount, but Windows SE seems to be fairly ok.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

You could try panda cloud AV.

• 59 months ago
  • 0 points

Why don't you just get a decent computer....?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube