add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Serious Props to 1usmus and his Ryzen DRAM Calc

SK6Blue
  • 4 months ago

Spent more time than I want to admit trying to tune a fairly cheap kit of Ram(F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX - Hynix CJR) on a Zen+ platform.

My standard rules that had worked well enough in the past just weren't making any real head room. I had no issues increasing the speed, but couldn't significantly tighten timings for the life of me(and speed increases above 3600 were essentially pointless).

After a long break from tuning I decided to search for and try out a little software package I had heard good things about, 1usmus's Ryzen DRAM Calculator. With the information from this program and a little tinkering I tweaked not just the primary timings but everything connected with the ram(procODT, RTT, CAD_BUS, etc), and quickly managed to drop my tRC from the XMP setting of 64 to a much more respectable 48 with no stability issues. For those interested in the primary timing changes: 18-22-22-42(XMP) dropped to 16-19-19-32(current)[initially I couldn't even get 16-20-20-36 stable] .

And of course after screwing with settings I had to run every benchmark known to man just to make sure some level of gains were actually being made. Slight to significant gains here and there as I had hoped, but one stood out, userbenchmark. While it generally isn't anyones gold standard of benching, it can bring some component specific insight at times. And in this instance I found myself with the strongest benchmark score on record for this specific memory kit(out of nearly 6K benchmarks), and a score 30% higher than the average score of the top benching Kit(#softBrag).

So if your running a ryzen system, I highly recommend either checking out the program and/or reading some of the articles 1usmus has posted. Truly great resources!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 3000MHz 32GB RAM kit that’s currently running at 2133 since the XMP didn’t work. I’m going to try a manual overclock with that calculator.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck! you should def be able to get more than 2133 out of any 3000 rated kit.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I realized I had the RAM in the wrong slots since the motherboard manual wasn’t very detailed about that, and once I changed it to the correct one I was able to turn on the XMP! I might try overclocking later to see if I can get better speed or timings

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube