add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Laptop category added

philip

17 days ago

We've added a new laptop category to PCPartPicker.

The initial seeding of the category is somewhat limited - a few hundred of the most recent models. We'll keep adding more throughout the holidays and then will aim to backfill older models later.

Some of you probably remember our initial attempt at this when we launched PortablePicker. We learned some important lessons from that attempt and tried to incorporate that here. We kept the modeling and specs a bit simpler to allow us to enter laptops faster. But we made sure that the category filtering hit the most important attributes. There's minimal compatibility checking right now, which we may expand on later depending on need.

There are more than a few hundred laptops on the market right now. What you see is our first initial pass. We're adding more daily, but if you don't see a model or series you want let us know and we'll prioritize getting it in.

Hope you like it. Let us know what you think!

Comments

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

Wow thank you very cool! I like it, it's so much easier to find laptops then it was before. It must be really helpful to people finding the best deals on laptops, no problems so far.

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

Looks really good! I'm just dreading a surge of laptop-centric completed builds. Thanks a lot for adding this category though, it makes sense as most of the retailers who deal PC parts also do laptops (also it makes it easier to see as newer mobile hardware comes out).

• 14 days ago
  • 1 point

Here to plug my laptop completed build from before it was cool.

But in seriousness, perhaps they will keep a separate category, or perhaps they just won't post laptop builds to the completed builds section of the homepage? I agree it would be silly if completed builds started becoming just "I bought a Dell G3, here's a pic of it."

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

Shouldn't there be a controller section too?

• 16 days ago
  • 4 points

Sure. We can add those too.

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

Thanks!

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

this is crazy

especially if you build a console and need a macbook for streaming

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Good Job,Philip. This will help me alot!

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

This is a super good edition, really helpful for narrowing down laptop choices since the market for them is so big. Can't wait until more laptops are added.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube