add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asrock X399M Taichi doubt on the built-in RAID

Maxiride

1 month ago

Ok the manufacturer website I read the following, does that mean that I can use the built-in RAID only with the SATA connectors and not also with the M2 ones too?

I'm pretty confident it's the former case but I'm not that skilled either to be 100% sure 🙆🏻‍♂️

Storage

• 8 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug

• 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)*

• 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)*

• 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_3), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)*

• 1 x U.2 Connector**

*Supports NVMe RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10) Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

**If M2_1 is plugged, U.2 Connector will be disabled.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No, it means that you can use RAID with an M.2 drive as well.

That what is says anyway.

(*)Supports NVMe RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10)

That asterisk (*) applies to all the below.

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)(*)

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)(*)

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_3), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)(*)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha! Thanks for the help!

Is there a rule of thumb on whether to use sata or M2 ssd?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You most probably mean a 2.5" or M.2 SATA vs a M.2 Gen3 x4 NVMe drive.

Because a 2.5" and the equivalent M.2 drive does have the same data rates and it's most probably a SATA drive.

Example: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/sNc48d,M9rmP6/

Those have the same performance, the only thing that changes is the form factor. (First one 2.5" / second one M.2)

This one below though (that uses the PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 interface is multiple times faster) but it still uses the same M.2 form factor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4ZFf7/samsung-970-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e500bw

So now to your question, using two drives with a PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 interface you will get even greater speeds if you do RAID 0 for example, than with two SATA based drive.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So to differentiate between the two categories (M.2 SATA and M.2 Gen3 x4 NVMe) I don't have to look at the form factor only but also if it is a NVME?

Does the M, B etc pin shape (I don't know yet if there are more key standards) gets involved too in the equation?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I don't have to look at the form factor only but also if it is a NVME?

Well the most if not all of those M.2 Gen3 x4 drives are using the NVMe read/write technology.

Does the M, B etc pin shape (I don't know yet if there are more key standards) gets involved too in the equation?

SSDs with an B key are mostly SATA+PCIe x2 compatible, Β+M key can do everything (SATA/PCIe x2/PCIe x4) and a M key (SATA/PCIe x4)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the explanations =) Really appreciated. I'll study more the specs and re-think the build =)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube