add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HELP! IS MY WINDOWS 10 PRO LICENSE LEGIT???

i7_7820_Extreme

15 days ago

NEWER UPDATE: My refund request is accepted.

UPDATE: I've updated Windows 10 to the current version, but the key still doesn't work.

As you can see in my profile, recently I have built my troublesome "The Funstation" PC build. It is about to get even more troublesome. Today, I am installing my Windows 10 Pro license. I bought it on Amazon for $99.99 CAD (it said it was used but like new). It looked legit. However, it arrived in an envelope with just a USB and an activation code. The installation process went normally, however, after it installed, it was a version of Windows 10 Pro that dates back to July 2015 Updating through Settings does not work, I keep getting an error code (I will provide that too if necessary), and "fixes" for it that I searched online does not work. The only way I could update Windows was through the update device creation utility on Microsoft's website. Finally, the code was on a seeming legit code thing. However, it doesn't work. On the activation page, it said "This code was removed from our activation servers."

Now, is this copy of Windows legit, and what should I do if it isn't?

Comments

• 15 days ago
  • 8 points

You got scammed. Not sure what Pro costs in CAD but in the US it costs like $130. There is no such thing as a like new code, used is used and you can't resell most types of keys. It was either a MSDN key or a volume license key given that it was deactivated. You brought a grey market key.

Now, is this copy of Windows legit, and what should I do if it isn't?

Contact Amazon and tell them about this scam artist. If that fails do a charge back on your card. And then buy a legit key.

• 13 days ago
  • 2 points

Contact Amazon and tell them about this scam artist. If that fails do a charge back on your card. And then buy a legit key.

Amazon will refund you.

• 12 days ago
  • 3 points

I requested a refund, and they accepted.

• 14 days ago
  • 1 point

Phone Microsoft with number mentioned during the activation error message.

• 13 days ago
  • 0 points

Try Ubuntu it's free, admittedly there's a bit of a learning curve to go away from Windows but you'll find it works better than Windows

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

This shouldn't be downvoted. Honestly, Linux is the proper answer instead of buying illegitimate Windows keys.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube