add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Constant driver crashes with a 5700 XT (Reference)

Colesy_

25 days ago

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S24 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold

I just built this new PC back at the end of August. I love it, it is quite the improvement over my previous build, yet aside from raw performance I've been getting some of the most frustrating issues imaginable. Early on with this build, I've encountered tons and tons of problems, including loads of BSODs that are seemingly fixed due to driver updates. Now what I'm mostly getting is this warning in Windows Event Viewer:

Event 4101, Display "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

This happens at either; A) Totally random points in time when playing a game or browsing the internet B) The exact same place in a video game, every time

The screen will freeze, go black and then give me a "No Display" screen. Most of the time it requires a hard reset to fix, but rarely it will recover on it's own, despite what the Event Viewer warning says. I've tried using the latest AMD drivers, rolling back to previous AMD drivers, playing with resolutions or graphics settings, updating BIOS, re-seating the GPU, changing Wattman settings, you name it. Nothing is working and I'm getting nothing from AMD support, or game developers in which the problem occurs within their game.

I'm at a loss.

Comments

• 25 days ago
  • 3 points

If you still have time left in the return window do it.

Cards with issues like that can't be fixed, and you can put them through all the different drivers, and you'll get the same results.

Swap them with another of the same known working card and no issues.

So AMD missed something during quality control and there are a bunch of faulty cards on shelves.

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

I'm long past my return window. Plus, I did the washer mod on the 5700 XT, so the warranty is voided now too. My hands appear to be tied unless I want to fork over some more money for this rig, which admittedly I'm not content with doing.

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

Ouch. Had a buddy that managed to go through two faulty cards before getting one that worked.

Driver changes didn't help, reinstalling Windows didn't help, full wiping the entire PC didn't help either.

Got the third card and worked just like normal from the start, spent some time talking to salespeople at both Microcenter and Best Buy and it's a pretty common issue to see them returned for.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Was mulling the issue over and maybe you can try downclocking the card under stock speeds and see if that helps stability.

Maybe AMD in their haste to push a competitive product failed to properly ensure stock speeds were viable on some part of the production.

It would cost you some performance but not crashing if it works is better then unstable performance.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Just tried tried that. Tested in a few different games and the driver continues to crash. This thing might be a piece of junk.

btw https://i.imgur.com/PqgcSgD.jpg

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Sorry was hopeful that it was just AMD being overzealous which can be worked around.

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

Are you using drivers from the AMD website or the GPU manufacturer website?

Not all drivers are created equal... I've had issues in the past where if I used drivers not from the GPU manufacturer website my system would crash as soon as I played a full-screen game.

Don't just use the driver from Windows Update or from the AMD website.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Using AMD Adrenalin. Radeon driver 19.11.2, the latest driver. There's no difference between the two, and I'm fairly certain that goes for NVIDIA as well.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Their still having driver issues. I do not recommend anybody to buy one of those cards.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Really sucks because the raw performance of this thing is great for the price, but holy **** does it crash a ton. Is this a known driver issue or is it something wrong on my end?

• 25 days ago
  • 0 points

Their a lot of people having the same issue. AMD has no fix yet and might not ever knowing them. It makes me LOL every time I see people here saying buy one because their the best bang for the buck, that is true but worthless if you can't depend on it.

I would take the 2060 Super any day and loose 15% or so of performance and have a stable system.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

This is my first all AMD system and I was well aware of AMD's notorious unstable drivers beforehand, but I didn't think they would be bad enough to crash my entire computer again and again. I'm past my return deadline and voided the warranty for the 5700 XT by doing the washer mod, so right now I'm kinda stuck until AMD pushes out a fix.

I'll admit, I may have jumped the gun with AMD's new products.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube