add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I stick with 1080p144 or go to 1440p144?

Retro_R

29 days ago

Now, from the title it may seem like a pretty simple answer but I think it's a bit more complicated. So, I built my first 'gaming' pc a couple of months back. Since I saw a good deal on it, I bought a 1080p144 monitor about 5/6 months back (and a dual monitor arm). Although recently I've been seeing some pretty cheap 1440p144 monitors, and I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should upgrade or keep my monitor for a while. If I do upgrade, what do I do with my current monitor? My gpu prob won't be able to push those frames. Can someone help me decide what to do.

EDIT:Here is my system specs CPU:Ryzen 3800x GPU: Gigabyte 1660ti MOBO:Crosshair Vi hero RAM:16GB(2x8GB)3200

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

I went 1440p and will never go lower again. 2 arm pole I use one for gaming and work and the other for side programs.

https://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static/forever/images/userbuild/159545.d3173a64d4ebeb80694bbbde83c7c956.90f4ebbc39c9e35b6daf4669904e1283.1600.jpg

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Get a 4k monitor for the other side.

Easier to run then 1440P@144hz so you can dial up the eye candy a little more, and you still have the 1080p@144hz to run the titles where raw frame rates matter more then resolution.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Get a 4k monitor for the other side

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean as a secondary monitor? I already have a secondary monitor, and I don't want to spend minimum $250 for a display I barely use most of the time. Plus 4k monitors that have a 100+ refresh rate are minimum $700. I'm not paying that. Also, 1440p is sooo much easier to run than 4k

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Get a 4k monitor to run as the other side then you have two focused monitor.

One for titles where high refresh matters.

One for titles where resolution matters but refresh isn't as vital.

Also, 1440p is sooo much easier to run than 4k

Only at the same refresh rate, but since your looking at over double the frame rates, the 1440p ends up pushing more pixels per second, and you end up at lower settings then what can be used on a 4k/2160p@60hz panel.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Get the 1440p and keep the one you have look at my setup. Buying a 4K monitor for gaming and trying to get high FPS makes no since. If you have to turn the settings to low to get high FPS is defeats the purpose of having a 4K monitor.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I was happy at 1080p, 1440p 144hz is very nice though. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

But do you think I should upgrade with the circumstances I put in my post?

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Well you didn't post your specs. But assuming they're decent, yeah 1440p is a nice upgrade over 1080p.

f I do upgrade, what do I do with my current monitor? My gpu prob won't be able to push those frames.

Could you clarify what you mean about this statement (and your system specs)?

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Well you didn't post your specs.

Sorry about that, I had it on my page (in completed builds, except that the 2600x is a 3800x). Thought people would just look there. I'll add specs to the main post in an edit

Could you clarify what you mean about this statement

What should I do with my monitor (1080p144) that I have currently? Should I sell it? Should I keep it? My gpu is pretty under powered for 1440p144

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

The wife runs a 1440p@144hz and a 1080p at 60hz as a second screen with a GeForce 1070 which the 1660ti is pretty close to a smidge slower according to https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4037vs3609

It runs most games she's played pretty well, even final fantasy XV at pretty high settings, although she's pretty close to 60FPS in that case. The second screen just displaying desktop stuff or netflix takes like zero power by comparison. And you could always turn the refresh rate down to 60hz on the secondary screen too if you felt like you had to do something. I've been running dual screens for over ten years and I can't think of a single time my performance was saved or aided by turning the second screen off or disconnecting it.

So you'd fine for the 2nd screen methinks. You're going to have to turn some settings down to medium sooner rather than later though with a 1660 ti @ 1440p. That being said 1440p does still look pretty nice compared to 1080p side by side.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I already have a second monitor though. Also, would it be worth it to shell out the extra money if I would have to buy a new graphics card?(most games hit 77 fps on 1660ti)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube