add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

learning to use mouse and keyboard questioning if i should build pc...

MGS302
  • 5 months ago

Playing call of duty modern warfare on ps4.

Based on my current ability to use a mouse and keyboard. Not sure if its the basic Logitech bluetooth keyboard (k400r) and mouse (m510), but its getting frustrating trying to aim. Ive practiced a bit online and with bots. Using a 8.4"+/- sized (horizontal) 7.625" (horizontal) mousepad. Mouse sensitivity is at 4.10 (doing a 360 from left to right). Some shots are fine while 85% others are horrible. Grip wise, my fingers are a mixture of flat and curved. When aiming down sights, and trying to get a target, its like im digging into the mousepad or pulling up/back on the mouse aiming for head or body. Using the keyboard is still weird, crouching is barely used along with whichever keys im not use to pressing without having to look down. Im not as fluid compared to controller. I'm inexperienced.

I wanna build a pc, but to spend whatever amount of money and not being able to play anything to get the most out of the pc is discouraging me. I wanna play everything and not just FPS games.

Any advise on improving using keyboard and mouse ?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

I believe we've all experienced something similar when first learning to use a mouse and keyboard, but the vast majority of us here learned to do so from such a young age that we can't recall what it was like to do so. My advice: practice. You'll eventually get the hang of it and find that it can be superior in many ways.

EDIT: You might want to check if you have mouse acceleration disabled. Try adjusting your Windows sensitivity, as well.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Mouse acceleration is the worst.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

While a a good keyboard is nice to have a decent mouse is critical when it comes to accuracy. Your mouse is like trying to swim with a weighed vest attach, sure its possible but you're doing it on hard mode. I would suggest buying a new mouse. While you should spend like ~$45 on a mouse even a $12 RedDragon M601 would be a massive step up for you. At the time I was already a seasoned PC veteran and was using a cheapish CM mouse and upgraded to a M65 Pro and the difference was night and day in how well I could aim. Mice are not created equal.

Can't really give any tips due to what IForgotMyPW2 said, most of us here didn't go through this. The only thing I can tell you is to practice.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

to add on to what they suggested, using a keyboard and mouse isn't the only option. You still have access to controllers. But as for learning to best use the keyboard and mouse, I suggest binding all the keyboard functions close together, to make them usable with one hand. And for the mouse, I suggest trying out different settings and always having a crosshair that contrasts the action nicely

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a 10-12 dollar victsing mouse it works great for that price, dpi can be changed, battery lasts over a year, nice fit for me. Actually I have 3 different ones. I started on a PC and had to learn controller on an xbox lol. You can get controllers for PC but mouse is great for aiming. What you have to do is change the settings until it works for you, then some practice and you will be good. Try a simple game like a shooter you only move around and shoot, not a ton of options/buttons. Treat the mouse like its made of glass, get your sensitivity and acceleration right, you will be fine. Key is you need to keep it in middle of pad, you should not be moving it that far. Usually some acceleration helps it move slower aiming and faster when you move it quickly, without moving it that far.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I was a console gamer for the first 23 years of my life. I was good too. Played a lot of FPS games and usually did very well. When I decided that I wanted to venture into the PC gaming environment, I told myself that I need to learn mouse and keyboard.

I have never been more frustrated than I was those first 6-12 months. Going from somewhat dominant, to complete push-over. I had the issue of my left hand being extremely stiff and not moving without me actively thinking about which keys to press.

The best advice that I can give is, repetition. In the beginning, I would suggest researching some key binds and mouse settings. Then try them out. It is better to try many options before you commit one to muscle memory. Once you have that, just keep playing. Eventually you will be thinking less and less about your movement and more about your strategic movement. I had great success early on playing games like Doom (2016), which forces you to react quickly.

Keep at it! Hope this helped!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube