add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[Correction] MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX - Ryzen 3rd gen compatibility

InsertNameHere²

3 months ago

The part: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kRTzK8/msi-b450m-pro-vdh-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-vdh-max

This motherboard is giving me a red warning about how it most likely will need a BIOS update to support Ryzen 3rd gen, even though right out of the box, the first version of the BIOS and onward, the motherboard supports Ryzen 3rd gen, no need to update.

Proof: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

looks like a simple oopsie. I'll be they fix it within the week!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

We are looking into adapting the compatibility engine to account for this kind of case.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright cool! Be sure to reply here again when it's up and running and sorted out

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

All of the MAX versions of MSI's B450 boards should be compatible with Ryzen 3000 out of the box I believe. It shouldn't take an adjustment to the compatibility engine. They are different models.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a more complicated solution on our end than that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I guess you have more going on than I thought. Is mobo-CPU compatibility tied to the chipset value? I can see that being an issue since some B450 boards will be compatible out of the box and some won't. Maybe it should just be tied to model. That would require you to enter compatibility for a new model mobo rather than having it derive from the chipset so I guess it would be a little more entry. But what you could do would be to have compatibility tied to the mobo model, require entering compatibility for a new model mobo, but have it default to whatever the chipset dictates. That way most of the time you aren't doing any more entry, but you have the option to adjust the compatibility on a per-model basis if needed. And the chipset still plays a role.

Now there will also be some other B450 boards that are compatible out of the box when previously they weren't, just because the manufacturers have updated BIOS on them and they've cycled through the supply chain. I've heard of people getting those from Amazon and Newegg. But I think in those cases, the warning is appropriate. They either need to rely on the store for compatibility info, or it's luck of the draw.

I guess I really have databases on the brain. Good thing it's Friday.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube