add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking my FTW3 1080ti

jake2917

4 months ago

I've had my rig now for a little over a year. When I put it together I opted to get the i7-8700 thinking that OCing would probably be too complicated for me & it was slightly cheaper. I ditched the 1060 I used to have for an EVGA FTW3 1080ti. Recently I skimmed over a couple readings about OCing & with EVGA's PrecisionX it seems fairly straight forward enough for me to play around with it. My question is, would I be wasting my time OCing my already nice GPU while I have the i7-8700? Would I just be creating a bottleneck doing this?

I don't know if any of my other components would come into factor when OCing my GPU but here is what I've got: - ASUS Prime z370-p - EVGA supernova 650w G3 (80+ gold) - i7-8700 3.2ghz - FTW3 1080ti 11gb - 32gbs g.skill 3200mhz - WD 250gb SSD M.2 All the other stuff I'm almost certain wouldn't matter so I won't bother listing the rest. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

bottle necking does not quiet work like that. To quote Allan_M_Systems as he writes the answer eloquently and I am lazy:

Pick your CPU based on performance (FPS) goals. This is usually related to monitor refresh.

Pick your GPU based on visual quality (resolution, texture quality, post processing) goals, at the performance goal.

What overclocking your GPU may allow is you to notch up an extra visual setting or something while keeping to your performance goal.

Now onto the GPU itself it is fairly easy to overclock. However what you may not realise is thanks to Nvidia Boost 3.0, the massive cooler on that card and factory tweaks, the actual clock speed your running at in use will be higher then what is on the side of the box in terms of rated speeds. Would not surprise me to see you running north of 1900 MHz without doing anything with that model. So by all means, do tweak the GPU, will not cause any issues and only increase ability to have a setting or so higher, but would not expect to be able to tweak that model massively or any overclock offer any substantial increase in performance as its already likely performing very well already.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

So my gpu pushing out slightly more performance wouldn't strain the cpu at all? The only other part that my OC will effect (hardly) would be like the psu then right? Because the slightly higher power draw.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

may mean your CPU usage goes up slightly if your able to push out more frames, but as I say, will be a trivial amount really given I expect from manual overclocking your not going to be seeing leaps and bounds more performance thanks to boost 3.0 already running at stock. Yes, power consumption may go up a notch if you open up the available power, but you will be fine with your linked hardware.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What Radox-0 says is true, I have the Same FTW 3 1080 Ti and my card auto boosts to 1950-1985 on its own without me having to do anything

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Word, thanks!

It's one hell of a card huh? I got the SE Black card & along with it performing like an animal, it's also sexy af.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It indeed is a hell of a card

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube