add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Large File Transfer

ZFGeek

4 months ago

I am going to be transfering a lot of data from my mom's old computer to an external hard drive. I'm talking like 10,000+ photos, hundreds of documents, and multiple videos. The hard drive would then be junked, as its already 8-10 years old. What would be the best and fastest approach to this? Do I have to copy every file, or could I maybe create a disk image? All help is appreciated.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I bet that machine doesn't have USB 3. Do you have a computer with USB 3 available? I'd get a cheap USB-to-SATA cable (or enclosure, but if it's old it's probably a 3.5 in inch drive and a cable is easier), pull the old drive and plug it into the adapter cable. Then you can run the transfer at USB 3 speeds using the newer computer.

If you go this route, take a look at the old drive's connectors before you buy the adapter. For instance, this adapter says 2.5 inch but ought to fit many 3.5 inch drives as long as the connector is OK. The similar adapter listed as being for 3.5 inch has additional interfaces, like IDE, making it a lot more expensive.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

if you can i go by folder. in case you hit bad spots on the drive. if its that old

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean how many gigs are we talking exactly, and are they all just in a my pictures and my videos type folder? In that case copy those two folders and wait. There isn't any software that's going to make that go faster, and the bits don't care how they're copied so "better" is debatable as well.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably over 100 gigabytes of files. It's a lot.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

when I need to move large files/folders and need to make sure it is done properly, I have been using "TeraCopy Pro"

https://www.codesector.com/teracopy

I donated $5 a few year ago, but it has gone up in price :(

What I like about it:

1-faster than windows transfer

2-verify the transfer of files/folders

3-hash check, to make sure your exact file matches the file transfered for your protection (loss of data)

100GB's is nothing to worry about with this software. I have moved 350-400GB's in a timely mannor

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube