add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is your storage made of and how is it set up?

madcracked
  • 72 months ago

Tell us what you use in your primary computer/htcp or gaming rig and why you have it set up the way you do.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

A single 1tb WD blue drive. Because its cheap and works.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I like to test the blues against the blacks to see how close they really are

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

They are both 7200 rpm Aren't they?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Both 7200 and 64mb cache spec wise the only difference is the warranty

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably the same performance then...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Not from what wd and other say. But I haven't seen data to prove/disprove anything

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the blacks had a bigger cache..? Guess not

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No one else wants to tell us your rigs storage?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Fine I'm currently using 1 vertex 4 and 2 vertex 450 120gb in a raid 0. While also using a Seagate barracuda 2tb and wd red 2tb in a raid 1. My os raid is backed up on my raid 1 for redundancy.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Samsung 840 500 gig in main gaming/folding rig, Samsung 840 500 gig in Mac Mini, various 840 EVOs 120 gig in folding rigs. Main storage/backups kept on site in a waterproof/fireproof NAS box with WD reds. https://iosafe.com/products-2baynas-overview

Various USB externals HD for off site stored backups.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Like Samsung much. Yeah the evo is really the best value right now. Still saving money up for my htpc/nap server. I want a specific raid card

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Vertex 3 128 for boot, 3TB Seagates in Raid-0 for data, 500GB WD Caviar Black for programs. Going to be picking up a 480-512GB SSD for boot and programs combined soon.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Barracuda 1tb sata3 main with Maxtor 300gb sata2, wd black 250gb sata2, barracuda 500gb sata2,wd my book 250gb usb2, fantom 2tb usb2... Planning on another 3tb barracuda sata3 and Samsung Evo 840 240gb sata3, along with a crucial 60gb msata for a cache drive.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and 6gb of gskill 2400mhz ram out of my 16gb total is a ram drive for cache and temp files for now...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

wow alot of different sizes and brands do you do media storage?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The 500gb and 250gb internals are filled with my games, the 300gb internal is mostly old projects I made (apps, 3d stuff, video, ect) and a bunch of other random old things I backed up. The 1tb main drive is my os (7 ultimate 64bit), programs, in progress works, and primary download location. The 250gb external is backing up old app installers and game directories like my highly modded SoF2 game files. And the 2tb external is MO is, anime, my music library, and imported clips from my camcorder.

Aside from my main drive which has 500gb left, I'm running pretty high in capacity on the other drives and need more space lol

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB and Seagate Barracuda 2TB. Os and a few programs are on SSD, everything else on HDD. because SSD's are fast, and the HDD is big.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

good solid standard setup, nice

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

PNY XLR8 Pro 240gb for OS and Apps. 3tb WD green for Storage. and a MyDigitalSSD 64Gb mSata Drive as a Cache, program Temp files, and Scratch Disk.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube