add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Graphics driver issues: Ryzen 2700x on X470

thefoilist
  • 11 months ago

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Ryzen, but it seems the process is going to give me a bald spot soon from all the headaches.

To start, specs:

Ryzen 2700x

Gigabyte X470 Aorus ultra gaming Rev.1

GTX 970 (iChiLL GeForce GTX 970 X4 Ultra)

MX 200 boot SSD

2 data HDDs

Windows 10 pro 64 bit version 1903

Problem: The installation process for windows 10 64 bit seems to go fine until the first restart, when it is copying and installing the OS off the boot USB, however when it restarts for the first time, the setup menus and windows login has to be done "briskly", else the video signal to the monitor will go dead, and will not come back after a restart or fix from the USB, and the process must be started again. It may go through the "we're setting things up for you" schpeel and blackscreen, or flicker do desktop momentarily before blackscreening, or load into desktop in a seemingly stable state. In the case where it blackscreens at this stage, I have been able to recover it using the USBs startup recovery feature. I know windows has installed and is in fact running based on the sounds. Initially there's always a disconnected device sound (also on attempted driver install), but also from the USB insertion/removal. If it reaches a stable desktop, I proceed to download and install the latest windows updates, motherboard drivers (chipset, LAN, audio) from gigabyte in that order, before I look to update graphics drivers.

What I have tried so far: -Downloading the latest Nvidia driver for my GPU (430.86), and installing as usual. Screen goes black during installation as usual, does not come back on after ca. 5 minutes waiting. Reboot goes straight to black screen after windows logo and spinning dots, can not be recovered. requires fresh install.

-Updating via the device manager, with the same results.

-Remaking the boot USB, on the premise that the graphics driver files were somehow corrupted.

-Reseating and re-affirming the GPU and PSU connections

I was running the F3 BIOS, but upgrading the chipset drivers as per gigabytes instructions, I have switched to F31, and the issue persists. It always seems to flicker and play the disconnecting hardware sound when it turns off, if that makes any sense. Will leave it running overnight, just in case.

This one's got me stumped, tickets already out but maybe someone here can help faster than gigabyte/Inno3D ;)

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

This has happened to me twice out of the 4 PC's ive built. For me it turns out it was an issue with a graphics card driver that had auto downloaded as soon as I signed into my windows screen.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

and i had downloaded and redownloaded the driver and over and over. Although, I used DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode in order to fix it each time. Eventually it randomly worked after what felt like 100 attempts. Sounds like was my problem though, very very frustrating with no clear answer. I spent probably a solid 20 hours of researching solutions.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

shame there isn't an MD5 of the driver you can check to make sure it isn't garbage before you install it though... Working through your solution, seems the best I have for now :'D but I've sorted most of the other issues, now its just graphics

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I'm finding too now, its ninja'd me 377.whatever... ended up disconnecting completely, going to get the drivers off the CD and then the latest Nvidia off a USB. Device manager should be a help too.

How did you fix that though? maybe it will help me

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you doing a clean install of Windows?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

yep. I think I pinpointed the problem too, looks like a dead/dying SSD to me, getting the "A TCG Command has returned an error" error in event viewer, always with the same args. nothing to do with graphics drivers aparrently... Will update if there's anything more, going to test on a known good HDD

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck, I hope that is the issue so you can get back up and running.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

No dice, I remove the suspect drive and did a PSID reset, same issue but not the same error now so... progress? :'D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube