add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buying pre-built PC. Need Opinions

Muggerteeth

7 months ago

I'm in between these two options -

Option 1) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-1tb-hard-drive-240gb-solid-state-drive-black/6333312.p?skuId=6333312

Option 2) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clx-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-2600-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-ssd-black-red/6323738.p?skuId=6323738

Questions are, To the best of your knowledge, what can they preform? Is there anything noticeable that sets them apart?

All opinions welcome. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I think we first need to go over that building it yourself would be the best option. See below as an example:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.89 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $104.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $74.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.67 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card $299.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair - SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case $70.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $84.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $985.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 13:35 EDT-0400

I tried to find exact specs on the parts in those Best Buy builds and I could not find it. Granted, I didn’t search extremely long, but it still shows that you just don’t know exactly what you’re going to get until you get it. Everything above is from a reputable brand.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Lets say I decide to build one, it would be my first which is why I had looked into pre-builds other then building myself. I see price difference but is there any known complications with building one yourself? With the pre-builds I was keeping in mind something that would be upgraded over the years.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Prebuilts often skimp on either RAM speeds or the power supply or both. A quick check doesn't turn up any info on the PSU, and that's often a part that ends up limiting your upgrade capability.

Building the PC isn't hard at all, particularly if you stick to the larger (ATX) form factor and don't try to build in the tight spaces of a mini ITX case. (micro ATX is somewhere in between.) Plus, if you build it yourself, you are likely to have more confidence in upgrading and troubleshooting, and you will have built in the exact features you want from the start.

mattias1172's list is not a bad starting point; I might quibble with the case but a lot depends on whether you want looks or quietness or maximum cooling with noise not an issue or what. What do you want the computer to do? and if gaming, at what resolution, and what sort of fps target (playable? very smooth? competition grade?), and what sort of games?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

How the case looks usually will pull me in but doesn't fully sell it for me. I don't mind sound just as long as it doesn't sound like a turbo jet engine and gives a my cat a heart attack, know what I mean? I care more for functionality, I want to keep it cool and have multiple USB ports for speakers and other such pleasantries. I plan on having at least two monitors down the road and connecting internet by Ethernet.

Primarily gaming, streaming, possibility of broadcast what I play, and listening to music. On the down time of that I'd be browsing, researching, and doing school work.

For performance, I'm like most, I want the most I can get without busting my wallet. Very smooth fps, I don't want to have to worry about graphic settings on most games, hit max and call it good. Resolution around 1080p, or even 1440p if viable. Right now I'm big on Rainbow 6 Siege, The Division 2, Forza Horizon 4, and DayZ. I also want to get back into Star Wars: The Old Republic and Elder Scrolls Online while having the preparations for new games releasing so long as nothing demanding changes.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're talking about streaming gameplay you probably want an 8-core CPU. The 1660 Ti is a very good 1080p GPU, 1440p it might be a bit marginal (playable but you might have to drop graphics settings a bit). For 1440p I'd advise a 2060 or 2070 depending on your budget. Lots of case options but you might like the Fractal Design Meshify.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Cases can be so subjective I just tossed the first thing I saw at that price point as a place holder. Could be cheaper if OP doesn’t care about looks, but it gives a little room to work with in the budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Pre-build computers are using mostly the cheaper mATX boards and sometimes with only 2 Ram banks, and the quality of their PSU units are also questionable.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

He needs a OS as well. :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.89 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $73.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card $349.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $72.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 53 CFM 120 mm Fan $7.49 @ SuperBiiz
Total $1018.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 14:17 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

First off thank you everyone for your input and followed parts lists. I've taken what you've said and I've researched to refine it into something I'm more confident with, as follows.

I've decided to drop down to 1080p for budget purposes. Upped to a 8-Core CPU instead of a 6-Core. Switched out the Case but I'm not sure if that's overkill or not.

Following question, SSD if where the start up stuff is stored while the Internal Hard Drives are where the actual goodies are stored, correct? Would the two Internal Hard Drives I've placed be 'too much'?

Continuing off of this Parts List please let me know how it betters with my intentions for the rest :)

Can't bring myself to hit buy until I know this is just right.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $279.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $94.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $134.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $74.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card $299.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design - Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case $145.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $83.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.39 @ OutletPC
Monitor MSI - Optix MAG241C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $197.99 @ Walmart
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1561.99
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $1536.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-18 13:45 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube