add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How good is this ram?

HiroNewf
  • 10 months ago

I am doing a high end build soon. I was wondering if this ram would be a good fit for me or if there was any better for my uses. I will be Gaming, Streaming, Video Editing, Recording, and light Photo Editing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nJGj4D/gskill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-4266-memory-f4-4266c19d-16gtzr

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a link to the full build if you need it. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VxkPP3

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $204.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $204.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 09:47 EDT-0400

No need for that fast of ram. 3200Mhz is fine, I have this same kit and it works great.

Plus 32gb vs 16

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the timing any good though? Ram is one of the computer parts I don't know everything about. I don't really know good timings from bad ones.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, its fine, also it can be OC too, I got mine ti 3666

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Not the speed the timings like 19-19-19-39 or something. Do you know anything about that?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

well, you want the lowest ones.

CAS 16 3200 > CAS 19 4266

Also the 16gb kit is waaaay over priced, you can get 16gb for 60-70 bucks

• 10 months ago
  • 4 points

Speed is more important than timings most of the time.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Actually not.

The 4266MHz ram with a latency of 19 will be faster as real latency concerns vs the 3200MHz kit and a latency of 16.

And if you make the math, the 3200/16 has a real latency of 10, and the 4266/19 comes down to 8.9!

And that high memory speed may not even work out on an Intel or even Ryzen 3000 board.

Its too high, especially if you consider a CPU overclock as well.

For more info, look at the link that vagabond139 posted below.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

For video editing I would recommend to get a 32GB kit of ram. As far as ram speed goes you do get diminishing returns of performance beyond 3200. Sure you can get more from a faster kit but you are paying a lot more for a tiny bit more speed and that usually makes it not worth it.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube