add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What can and can't be transferred and how?

Attam

6 months ago

I'm going to be building a new PC soon and I'm new to the whole process so I wanted to know if I can transfer my OS and related files to the new PC from my old and how?

Also the same question but for everything not OS related such as games and media files. Is it easier to use a data cable to transfer between hard drives and SDDs or should I use a transfer program?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are comfortable using it, Clonezilla can be a great tool. Assuming you are on Windows, you can install a program such as Rufus or the more user-friendly BalenaEtcher. It's as simple as inserting a USB stick, and flashing the Clonezilla image onto the drive. From there, you can boot into the USB that has Clonezilla on it, and follow the prompts to transfer across the files.

If you're stuck, or feel worried you might be doing something wrong, TechRadar has an article on how to use Clonezilla.

The most important thing is to get another backup of the files you can't lose before you start. If there is something like a games folder, chances are that it will only be an inconvenience to get back (re-downloading off steam etc.). If there are any files/folders that are important to you, and would be difficult/impossible to get from somewhere else, try use Google Drive, OneDrive, an external hard drive or something similar. Better off safe than sorry!

If you're doing this all from a single drive to another, that should be it. As you have said, game and media files that may be stored on a separate disk can be transferred across inside Windows file explorer provided both are connected to you PC.

Hope this helps!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube