add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Kaspersky or Stay With Avast?

VoraciousBear87

66 months ago

Right now there is a deal when I can purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus for a cheap price at a local store. Right now I am running Avast, and while it works, I find it to be rather annoying so far. With my PC I want the BEST Anti-Virus software I can get. Would Kaspersky be an upgrade over Avast or is there another AV software I should be looking at?

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 3 points

Every anti-virus program is annoying. You want the BEST anti-virus? The ABSOLUTE BEST anti-virus is common sense. Don't open the free ipad emails and guess what? No viruses. Use common sense while using a computer to not get viruses. You don't need an antivirus.

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

Mostly true but not always 100% effective. It's completely possible to catch malware while using even the latest version of CommonSense AV. Most commonly from just loading ads and scripts without necessarily clicking anything.
Best solution, aside from keeping your CSAV up to date, is to get adblock, noscript, and/or ghostery set up to protect your browsers (which are the main point of weakness for most folks).
And also set up an effective suite of AV and anti-malware programs. I usually recommend MSE (aka Windows Defender) and Avast for real time protection, as well as MWB/SAS for detection and removal.

Considering that everything I've mentioned is completely free and simple to use, there's no reason not to. You put your seat belt on when you drive, right?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Antivirus is free to use but they all bog down the system. Some less than others though.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that badly. The ones I mentioned are pretty slim and completely worth it.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, but everyone makes mistakes. Downloading a free program you need for school that has a sketchy installer that downloads 3-4 extra programs? Sometimes, I don't look twice and click express rather than custom.

Having a backup is always good. I've found that AVG paired with MalwareBytes keeps my computer clean, and I don't have to worry too much if I accidentally do something wrong.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Always press custom. Malwarebytes i have works great for after the fact. Same for ADWcleaner.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Well of course I avoid the scam emails, the "i love u" messages, etc... However, viruses are rapidly evolving all the time and I feel much safer with an AV than just being armed with common-sense. Even legitimate websites can be infected these days.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

On the contrary, have you ever used XP? Stuff was a nightmare.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not quite understand why you would mention Windows XP, but yes I used it in the past? Why ask? I found Vista to be worse than XP.

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

Would Kaspersky be an upgrade over Avast...

Generally, yes. It usually ranks around the top five, if not the top three. It's typically geared for those who want to install it and then forget about it.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I tend to use AVG free and have not used those for awhile.

This might help:

http://www.asecurelife.com/avast-vs-avg-vs-avira-vs-norton-vs-kaspersky/

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

That is an interesting website. Kaspersky is rated highly on with the negative of having a "slow scan speed". I will see if I can find info about the scan speed.

Thanks for the link.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Instead of anti-virus go for the internet security version, it's much better and for $45 or $50 for 3 licenses turns out pretty cheap also.

edit: http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I will look into it. Do you know if the extra features on ISV are compatible with Firefox? I have read there could be issues if you are using FireFox.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

It's fixed. https://support.kaspersky.com/10235#block0

edit: it's patch B

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I use MalwareBytes, Avast, Norton, and AVG.

I DO NOT recommend using three anti viruses, as they can and will conflict. Use MBAM and either AVG or Avast!

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you want to give your money to a childmolester or to another company. Avast is the way to go, all money Kaspersky makes a portion goes to its founder who is on the run for child molestation.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Stick with avast. Our IT guys rave about it.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Get Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarbytes (free) and you'll be great.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the delayed response.

I decided for now to stay with Avast due to Kaspersky's software issues with Firefox during its updates. I was planning on sharing the AV with family members but they are in no state to deal with incompatibility issues with Firefox.

I will be on the lookout for any AV deals that is compatible for Firefox in the meantime. Thanks for the advice.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Issues with Firefox is one of the reasons I haven't used Kaspersky for a few years.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I used K7 antivirus for past one year. Its preventing from virus good. Try to use this along with some free malware software.

• 66 months ago
  • 0 points

Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials).

/thread

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube