add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Defective fan?

Alto_D

8 months ago

Hi,

A few days ago my exhaust fan started running at full speed all the time even though I set the fan control to silent for all fans in the BIOS (Asrock Z370 Extreme4) Obviously this creates more noise than I'd like and wonder if this might be a sign of the fan failing or that it maybe some other issue, i.e. motherboard issue? It's a PWM fan plugged into the Chassis #1 connector.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

P.S. I keep my case clean so it's not a dust issue.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

this sounds like an issue with the bios not correctly applying the right settings to that one fan.

controlling the speed of a fan isn't a moving part and i believe it is Motherboard dependent, (although i could be wrong about it being motherboard dependent, although regardless its unlikely to be a broken fan)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

After reading your reply I went back into the BIOS and checked the different settings. I can only find 4 motherboard presets and no option for adjusting fan curves etc. Funny thing is, I tried all 4 settings and the only real difference is the speed of the CPU fan, the other 4 run pretty much at the same speed no matter what setting I choose.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe it is a bad fan.

For me, I had be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High Speed PWM fans for about three weeks, and suddenly they would ramp up to full speed and go back to the fixed 50% that I set them at. I replaced these fans three times from Amazon and they all had this problem. I don't know if it was a bad batch of fans or what. I also had them connected to my motherboard (MSI MEG Z390 Ace). Now I have the Noctua Chromax fans (also PWM) instead and it's been about two weeks. If they end up doing the same thing I guess it would be a motherboard problem? But I also just replaced my motherboard last week due to a bad DIMM slot. So, I'm hoping there won't be any problems because if it happens again, I'm not sure what it could be.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The fans in my case are all Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 PWM fans ;-) Only the CPU fan is that of the Mugen 5.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm, maybe it has something to do with Silent Wings PWM fans then. Really strange. Maybe it's safer to get the 3 pin DC versions of the fans? I really have no idea why they are acting up. In any case, I don't buy their products any longer.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

4 pin vs 3 pin shouldn't matter what so ever, i still believe it is a motherboard problem simply because the speed of the fan depends on the power it gets, which is what the motherboard controls

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube