add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I buy this ekwb water cooling kit for amd threadripper

Intel_Stock_Cooler

8 months ago

I've had my eyes on this ekwb cooler https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-s240. Is this a good choice for my amd threadripper 2920x (12 cores)? I am considering overclocking in the future... I am also not sure whether its water block will work on the tr4 socket, since the compatibility list only includes the am4 socket?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I probably wouldn’t really bother with liquid cooling, as the long-term reliability issues (and the possibilities of increased noise) and increased costs (among other things), outweigh the positives.

I’d probably get a beefy air cooler ( like this one)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

i should also mention that air coolers tend to actually be better, at least once the liquid reaches equilibrium. unless you go for a custom loop

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to go that route, I'd definitely get in touch with EKWB and make sure that the kit works with the TR4. The TR4 CPU surface is unusually large, and you're wasting your money if you aren't cooling enough of it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube