add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Graphics card for Mid-level gaming for less than $400???

Creepstalker324

9 months ago

I have been looking at Video cards, and I have noticed their is no real clear answer as to what a good mid-budget video card is. I would like to play games like Forza Horizon 3 and Destiny 2, along with Ark, Fallout, and modded Minecraft. I have a design in mind, but I am seeking advice from people who have actually built a computer, as I have not. Thanks for the tips!

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I think a 1660 Ti would be a great start with the budget in mind.

MAYBE a 2060:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-RTX-2060-VENTUS/dp/B07MC23VS4 ($360)

OR

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Graphics-IceStorm-ZT-T20600F-10M/dp/B07MBKKQPW ($350)

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I really have little to no clue as to how powerful of a Graphics card I need. My friend keeps telling me that the only Graphics card that will work well is a Geforce RTX 2080, but those are really expensive. It's nice to know that there are computer people on the internet who will answer my stupid questions.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

your Friends are Fking idiots, unless you are trying to run 4k you do not Need an RTX 2080

for 1080p get a RTX 2060

for 2k get a RTX 2070

for none RTX cards, it's basically RX570<RX580=GTX1060<RX590=GTX 1660<GTX 1660 Ti

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

You're looking at 1080p 144Hz gaming, I see, so the 1660 Ti is probably a good choice. If you are a frame rate chaser who wants to play at the highest settings, then up it to a 2060. I'd expect well over 60fps (into the 80's-100's) for most games assuming that your CPU is up to it.

There's no way you need a 2080 for 1080p gaming unless you're also going to invest in a 200+ Hz monitor and a 9900K CPU, so that you can play at silly frame rates.

Frame rates are very very strongly game and detail settings dependent, but as a very rough rule of thumb at 1080p: an RX 580 will usually get you to at least 60 fps; the RX 590 is a few percent better; the 1660 (non Ti) is yet better and can pretty consistently beat 60 fps; the 1660 Ti will generally play at 75+; the 2060 is another increment (10-20%?) above that; and at the 2070 level you're probably being limited more by the CPU and monitor in a wide range of games. Please don't take these numbers as meaning much, I'm just trying to give a rough idea of where GPU's fall on the scale.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice.

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advice. If this helps, this was the monitor I was planning on purchasing. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nv3H99/msi-optix-mag24c-236-1920x1080-144hz-monitor-optix-mag24c

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

VA monitors tend to have more Ghosting effects, now I've seen some reviews were they say there is a monitor option that greatly reduces ghosting, but you would have to look into that. (that is if you even notice ghosting effects, you might not even know what it is ;D)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube