add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Where to go after r5 1600

gitclucked

7 months ago

I'm currently running a ryzen 5 1600. Right now in just using it for general purpose and gaming. My intentions would be to use it for video and photo editing, streaming, and gaming as well. What CPU would be my next step up without having to fork out an arm and a leg. I'm currently using the gigabyte ax370 board as well.

Comments

  • 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Wait for Ryzen 3000 IMO. Make the upgrade worthwhile.

  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I would say the same as well as it would be easy to hold out with a r5 1600 as that is still a good CPU. It would still be possible to do video editing and streaming on a r5 1600 too but perhaps not at the performance OP is looking for. As he is waiting he can go test it now and see how his system behaves under that load.

  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I was thinking yoo but I havent even seen anything on them yet.

  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Few more months.

  • 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Right now, Ryzen 7 2700X would be the most meaningful upgrade for your chipset (I presume you want to hang onto your x370 board for now). Waiting for Ryzen 3000 series? It is certainly incoming and your board will support the upgrade with bios update. Go ahead with the Ryzen 7 2700X, price is low ATM and Ryzen 3000 is going to surprise a lot of people (in that it will not be a technological miracle - it will be like stepping up to Kabylake from Skylake with a few extra cores thrown into their higher end chips).

  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I may just wait for the 3000 chipset and see how those end up. If anything I can pick up the 2700/x then as well at a (hopeful) cheaper price.

  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well we do not know how good the 3000 series will be yet as it has not been released and tested yet. I only suggest holding out if it is not an absolute need to upgrade but more of a want to upgrade because you do get more value out of your older hardware that way.

It could be a marginal upgrade or it may be a massive upgrade but with your hardware now there is no harm in waiting. If you had a FX CPU I would be desperate to upgrade lol. The margins between first gen and 2nd gen are not that big now so all you would gain is 2 cores and maybe a couple hundred mhz in speed but that is it. Those extra 2 cores may be worth it to you considering your planned usage but depending the boost on the 3000 series it may be more beneficial. Rumors shows possibility of even more cores so we will have to see how it goes.

  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed, you already have a working computer, if you are in no rush to upgrade, hang 10 and see if the grass ends up being significantly greener...

  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait for Zen 2, aka Ryzen 3000.

If you're still happy with your Ryzen 5 1600, you could always wait a while longer. With the last 2 generations of Ryzen processors, the prices went down 10-12 months after the initial release.

You'll have to update the BIOS in order for the board to support the newest processors.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube