add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS ROG m.2 Issues

M0ldy_Che3se

9 months ago

Hey guys. I couldn’t find any help anywhere else online and ASUS told me they don’t condone upgrading their systems and wouldn’t help me either.

I have an ASUS ROG GL503G and recently purchase a Samsung 970 m.2. I cloned over the OS and loaded up in BIOS but was unable to find the SSD anywhere in the boot drive options. BIOS v308 if that matters.

I removed the HDD to see if it would force boot and it didn’t. I looked around and there were posts talking about having to select the NVMe port to work for m.2 in storage configuration, but my BIOS didn’t show that setting anywhere. Even in advanced settings.

What do I do?

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard before that on fresh window installs that you have to install the windows 10 without any other drives connected, and only the SSD? try booting with only the SSD connected

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

If you boot a Windows 10 USB, can it see the drive? What did you "clone" the install from? Any reason for that over a fresh install and then copy stuff across from your old drive?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It sees the USB. I used EaseUS Partition Master just cause I didn’t have a Flashdrive at the time. I have one now. I attempted to install windows to the m.2 and it worked, but still would not boot.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/318051-cloned-ssd-from-hdd-wont-boot-windows

I had the same issue. Basically make sure your new hard drive is GPT before you format and clone it. Otherwise you wont be able to see it in bios.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine is GPT yet still doesn’t show up in BIOS

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. Thats very odd. I mean here is what I do.

1. Format Drive (make sure its cleared off of anything u want before you do this)
  2. Check for driver updates
  3. Clone it
  4. Go Bios and Select it as boot

Now if thats what your doing then idk honestly. You could try unplugging the other hard drive to "force it" to select the new SSD.

Is your m.2 slot nvme or sata?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s NVMe. I ended up trying to force install windows from scratch on it and it got stuck in a loop installing windows. I gave up and called Samsung and they told me they’re suspecting a hardware malfunction. Amazon is sending me a new one tomorrow. So I’ll try again and let you know if it works.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube