add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can a Ryzen 5 2600 handle a RTX 2070?

TegridyFarms

2 days ago

I'm a little new to PC gaming, so help me out here!

Comments

• 2 days ago
  • 3 points

The question is based in false pretense.

If you're planning to game on a 144hz+ monitor at high FPS, always "tuning" visuals down as required to keep FPS high, the 2600 is going to be a performance bottleneck in some games regardless of GPU choice.

If you're planning to game on a 60-75hz (or maybe higher refresh rate "syncing" monitor) with lower performance goals (happy with 60-90FPS+), and more focus on visual quality and resolution, then the 2600 will do just fine. Again, GPU selection here doesn't matter. It's not about "handling" a GPU, it's about handling your performance goals. Your monitors refresh rate has a lot more to do with your CPU selection than your GPU.

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

Depends on what You mean by handle it.

The 2600 will always perform like a 2600 in the specific use, the 2070 performance is going to vary depending on use, resolution, and quality settings.

There are uses where the 2600 will always be the limiting part and it could be looked at as if it cannot handle a GPU of that level with a specific set of goals.

And other uses where the 2070 cannot achieve the performance goals but the 2600 isn't doing much more then idling.

There is not and never will be a fixed Yes or No to this kind of question without information on what You are doing.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

If by handle you mean bottleneck, then yes, a Ryzen 5 will bottleneck that CPU.

This sounds like an alarming situation but it is not at all. It is like saying there is gravity on the Earth. Let me put it to you this way - Ryzen 5 2600 will perform better with a 2070 than it would with a 2060 in gaming. That would make the 2070 a better purchase, whether it bottlenecks the CPU or not.

The CPU tells the GPU what to do, if the GPU does it faster than it takes the CPU to relay the next instruction set, you have reached a CPU bottleneck. For most modern games at 1440p or 4K, the GPU will be the bottleneck, even if you have two 2080Ti's in SLI. The CPU will be polling, ready to pounce when the GPU creates a signal interrupt indicating it is ready to accept a new frame for rendering. Polling is like saying "idling, waiting for something to happen".

The Ryzen 5 will run fine with the RTX 2070 connected in the PCIe x 16 slot. You can even connect a 2080TI instead of the 2070 and you will see a marked improvement. The Ryzen 5 2600 is plenty fast enough for gaming. Question of choice is where one prioritizes their build. This site is split roughly down the middle - Camp 1 says low resolution but blazing fast fps, Camp 2 says high resolution and "playable" - i.e. 60fps or better. Where you lie will dictate chip choices.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Short answer: Yes

Bottlenecking is a term thrown around a lot but I wouldn't see an issue with a 2600+2070. Would be a different story if you were pairing it with a r3-1200 or 2200g.

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

Would be a different story if you were pairing it with a r3-1200 or 2200g.

What if it were for a 4K 60hz gaming build?

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

It will be an pretty rough experience

Plenty of games still use CPU particles, etc and will have large FPS drops on lower end CPUs

Just because it’s 4k doesn’t mean you can cheap out on the CPU

• 1 day ago
  • 2 points

Just because it’s 4k doesn’t mean you can cheap out on the CPU

It's not the 4K part that lets us cheap out on the CPU, it's the 60hz part, which is pretty much the case for all practical 4K monitor options.

If the monitor is going to set our performance cap at 60hz, there's really no point spending a lot on a CPU...

With that being said, with Ryzen 1600's being so cheap, I see no reason to bother building a computer with anything less than a 1600 regardless of what it is being used for, but that's sort of a separate point.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

It will be an pretty rough experience

Might want to double check that since none of the reviews have shown there to be an issue with either of the 1200/2200G and running recent titles, and they have always been highly suggested as 60fps options by those same reviewers.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

I would still recommend a r5 2600 or i5 8400 or greater when building a new PC with a rtx 2070. I would only recommend a 1200 or 2200g in a really low end budget PC. Mid range or better should have at least 6 cores due to how modern games can use more than 4 cores these days and the RTX 2070 is a very capable card.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

Even in those titles that can scale into more cores and using a 2070+ for 4k@60hz there isn't going to be a meaningful performance difference for gaming though.

• 17 hours ago
  • 1 point

Average FPS is a worthless metric to gameplay

Reviewers who only show average FPS also can be disregarded for all information, a 1200 / 2200G will not be the smoothest experience at any resolution.

• 15 hours ago
  • 1 point

Please feel free to double check and provide examples as most reviewers now also include frame times and/or 1% and 0.1% lows.

So if those same reviewers are wrong about the 1200/2200G being smooth then they are also wrong about higher tier models such as the 2700X and 9900K.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't worry about it, they're both current high-mid range hardware. Otherwise why is anyone buying AMD CPU's if it can't even "handle" a high-midrange GPU?

And for that matter why is anyone buying GPU's from beyond 2016 if you practically need the #1 best CPU to utilize them?

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Bottlenecking is not a bad thing or a taboo topic - it merely recognizes that every CPU has a limit. Nothing can process information without bound in one clock cycle without violating rules of mutual information. The CPU will set the upper bound for the frame rates - irrespective of what GPU you plan to use. Both Ryzen and Intel "can" bottleneck a RTX 2070. Does the bottleneck matter? Very subjective. In my opinion, definitely not. Then again, I am not particularly fussed about the scenarios where this may matter. To some folks, selecting an Intel over Ryzen may be the difference between achieving a particular fps goal and not. The vast majority of people are not enthusiasts and do not spend the sort of money many of us do to get that extra few percent. We are talking about the upper crust, not the pie filling.

• 2 days ago
  • -1 points

Yes

• 2 days ago
  • -1 points

Yes

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube