add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus P5Q SE CPU UPGRADE NEEDED

Geroe

2 days ago

Hello guys , i want to know which CPU is the most powerful i can buy for this old P5Q SE. I am using this pc for work just for browsing and Multitasking some apps, right now it has Core2 Duo E8400 2008 model.

Comments

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_SE/HelpDesk_CPU/

The Core 2 Quad Q9650 is the fastest you can get but seems like it needs the bios to be updated.

Q9550 works on the the stock bios.

[comment deleted]
  • 2 days ago
  • 2 points

If you can find...a used Core 2 Quad Q9500, Core 2 Quad Q9550 or Core 2 Quad Q9650.

Note: The Core 2 Quad Q9500 needs the latest Bios ver. 1005

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

I ordered Q9500, can i do bios update to ver.1005 before i this cpu arrives ?

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

I have updated Bios to 1005, when i first booted win 10 is was showing blue screen and than i entered safe mode and after restart it went in normally :) i thought motherboard was bricked :D

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Could be related to Windows 10, as that board came out way before Windows 10 did launched in 2015!

But it runs now fine now i guess, so you are good to go. V

Note: Tell us how it runs!

i thought motherboard was bricked :D

Installing a processor that doesn't run on a particular board (considering you purchased a compatible processor and you did installed it properly) doesn't brick the board.

For example, you could not update the BIOS and install that processor, but then you would get just a black screen.

The board would still work, but the BIOS wouldn't be able to recognize that processor thus the computer wouldn't be operational. ;)

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point
  • 2 days ago
  • 2 points

Q6600 is what I did back in the day. E8400 was seen as faster for gaming (when games were typically run on single core processors or dual cores). Q6600 offers up 4 cores and overclocking helps some with this chip. I have no idea if it performs better with Windows 10 behind it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube