add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2700x For Gaming?

Cytracx

7 months ago

Will the 2700x, when paired with a 2070 or possibly a 2080, be able to play most AAA games at High/Ultra (1080p) at 144hz. Or should I stick with something like the 8700K?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Will the 2700x, when paired with a 2070 or possibly a 2080, be able to play most AAA games at High/Ultra (1080p) at 144hz. Or should I stick with something like the 8700K?

8700k or the later 9600k/9700k are better suited for pushing high frame rates in the mostly poorly optimized newer AAA titles.

The graphics card choice is only going to determine what quality settings You can use at a given resolution with that frame rate goal.

If You lower Your frame rate goals or move to older titles and/or more mainstream titles the 2700X will meet Your frame rate goal more often.

The main advantage the 2700X has is for multi-tasking well gaming in AAA titles with reasonable frame rates like 1080p/1440p/2160p@60hz well livestreaming at 1080p@60hz.

Your CPU not Your graphics card is going to determine frame rate performance, graphics cards only limit quality and resolution settings at any given frame rate goal.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I was just wondering because a lot of my friends were suggesting I go with AMD so I was just seeing what other people thought.

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

It honestly isn't worth the money it unless You are using it for its strengths in multi-tasking.

You can pull off similar gaming results to a 2700X with a I5-9400F for $155 well using a cheaper motherboard and RAM.

Now when multi tasking like the above example its great only beat by the newest I7/I9 both of which cost more.

So it does have its place, it just isn't a great option for a purely gaming rig with a high refresh monitor.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup astonishing that this i5-9400f pulls level with the 2700X and actually beats it in some titles as well. You can get away with much cheaper RAM as well although that advantage is disappearing as CL16 3200 drops in price.

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

although that advantage is disappearing as CL16 3200 drops in price.

Not really since 2666mhz has been dropping as well.

Sad part is to reach the same gaming performance the reviewers are using 3200cl14 which hasn't changed pricing as much and is not going to be a thing anymore with Samsung canceling its production in favor of higher density dies.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

The 2700X is a perfectly fine CPU. Honestly so is the 2600X. They both perform really similarly in gaming performance. Honestly right now generally speaking graphics cards are the bottlenecking component more often than not, so if you're building a PC maybe look into getting a 2600X and putting that saved money towards a better graphics card

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Will look into it, thanks for the insight! Was also thinking about possibly waiting for Ryzen 3rd Gen to release and see how that does.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i should also mention intel is having a tonne of security issues right now that are reducing performance, (mostly because the architecture is around 10+ years old, and it's just been updated again and again, instead of completely new like AMD's Ryzen)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow, had no idea about that, thanks

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

The performance reduction is going to be across the board for all three platforms and already in place with the latest updates for many OS.

AMD and ARM although immune to two of the four revealed exploits uses the same compute styles in regards to how caches handle/don't handle information when programs are changed.

So it's a sadly simple matter of revamping the attacks to fit the correct architecture changes for Zen/ARM.

Google and Microsoft have already started rolling out cache cleaning steps to their multiple OS's which is where the performance loss is coming from.

Linux is expected to follow suit.

It's a rather ingenious exploit most SMT based attacks focus on the software partition between virtual cores being run on the same core.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you will only be gaming, get a 9600k

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

With that combination, you should have no trouble playing at 1440p with those settings, let alone 1080p. I'm playing my 2700X/GTX1080 on my 4K TV, though I'm limited to 60fps on that..

If you're not in a hurry, Ryzen 3000 series should be amazing..

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mMBbWHrwM

Video is 2 years old, but still has revelent info and is worth a watch.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube