add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Build for a Friend

Jeff_Az

8 months ago

Budget: Unknown, but likely around $1500 tops. Less may be better.

Purpose: Gaming, conducting webinars and online coaching (see below)

Peripherals needed: Probably everything but a mouse.

Timing: Likely at least a few months from now.

I have a friend that I told about this site and she is wanting a desktop for gaming, etc. Since she is not going to be buying right away, we are wanting to figure out what she will need and help build a reasonable budget.

She is a World of Warcraft fanatic. She plays several times a week. IRL she is a trainer/health coach. She is working at building an online presence for coaching services. So those are her main use parameters.

She has a mid tier service plan from Cox, my guess is their Ultimate 300mps offering. She has a newer modem and connects via wifi to game on her 2015 MacBook pro. The new machine would have a wired connection.

The plan is to get her a good base that she can enjoy sooner and upgrade peripherals down the road. So she would stick with her current gaming mouse but may upgrade later. She didn't seem to care about bling and won't be taking this to LAN parties, so things like RGB are superfluous.

Right now she is fairly good in terms of functionality but says she has some latency issues that cause her to miss points. I have no idea what her MacBook config is and neither does she. She would like to reduce latency and move into bigger screen(s). I suggested VR and she liked the idea but neither of us know if WOW supports it.

She is online and has a group of people she games with, so she will need a mic. She likes to play through speakers instead of headphones, so needs decent sound, too.

So, with all that in mind, what do you suggest? Is our time horizon too long to start planning?

Thanks.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card $199.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case $84.93 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ B&H
Monitor Dell - SE2717H 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor $142.50 @ Adorama
Keyboard Logitech - G Pro Wired Gaming Keyboard $99.00 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse $59.65 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1268.81
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1248.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-15 12:34 EDT-0400
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Is our time horizon too long to start planning?

I would say yes. Depending on how long out you're planning on building there could be both new GPUs and CPUs from AMD. Granted you're probably better off with Intel for WoW, but still.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

^^^^ if your ganna wait, then just wait out until everything new gets released

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube