add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Addressable RGB without a 3-pin mobo header?

Aristo1

7 months ago

Hello! I've been after a solid answer to this question for a while. I have a motherboard with a 4-pin RGB header. However, I would like to install addressable RGB fans, which typically use a 3-pin connector. Obviously, the connector and header are incompatible, but is there another way to control the RGB that does not require the header?

Is this what an external "controller" is for? The Deepcool CF 120 3-in-1 pack comes with an A-RGB controller. This will allow me to power the fans via SATA, bypassing the need for the motherboard header, correct?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

This will allow me to power the fans via SATA, bypassing the need for the motherboard header, correct?

Yep, if your board doesn't have a 5V ADD RGB 3-pin Header.

Note: DON'T use the 4 pin 12V RGB board header as it will burn out the LED of the fans!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, figured that was the case!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Have fun! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube