add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How bad is the AMD A-6-9600?

vincent_2006

6 months ago

so im on a really tight budget and this is is sorta a nooby question, but will the a6 series last for light light gaming at LOW settings 40-50fps? in games w/low requirements

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

Don't bother.

Buy a refurbished sandy bridge i3 or newer computer and drop a discrete GPU in. You'll spend less than building and get way more out of it.

If you want some ideas/guidance for selecting a refurb let me know.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked my local Craiglist and saw the following:

$50 FX6300 Bulldozer+GTX750ti, 16GB DDR3: same lousy CPU (but with a few more cores) plus a "real" GPU. But at half the cost of the windows license, it is hard to beat (doesn't mention OS, might not have it. Avoid without Windows unless you are really into Linux). $200 3.2GHz i5, RX480, 8GB DDR4, 240G SSD, 2TB HDD, win 10 pro. More or less exactly what a low-end gaming machine would be (before Ryzen), if you can afford it (and the 1080 monitor it will happily run) you will have all the 1080@60Hz gaming and desktop performance you could want. Very good deal, just that the "win 10 pro" designation makes me uneasy (only makes sense if it came with the PC. But it may well have been high enough end when new to warrant the slightly extra expense of "windows pro").

There are also some iffy sub $100 machines that come with monitors. I'd also recommend putting a price filter on it so you don't see people trying to flog their builds at cost or higher.

The huge advantage with a refurb is that Microsoft loves to sell windows licenses tied to the motherboard, so getting a computer plus windows is easy. At least I hope: sometimes you can transfer a license, but I suspect that if you have the sticker+number MS will let you keep using it.

At least one semi-local college had a surplus store that had all the cheap monitors you could want (buy 3 19" 1280x1024 for $45), but that was a few years ago and a run in with the fire marshal may have closed them. I'd still look for "surplus" followed by "used computer stores" for the monitor if necessary.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure what you're budget is.. but have a look here:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-1WC02

So that's a quad core Sandy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro, ~$300.

The Z420 has a single 6 pin power for a GPU, so you can go up to most 150W cards. The RX 570 would be a great choice here.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

It's a reworked Bulldozer chip, so it's not really that capable.

A 200/220/240GE would be more suitable

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

The Athlon 200ge would outperform the A6-9600, in both CPU and GPU performance lmao

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thx!

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I like how nobody pointed out that the A6-9600 doesn't exist.

The A8-9600 exists thou.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

my bad i meant to say a6-9500!

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Man, that apu sucks.

It's an am4 chip based on bulldozer so it should suck alotl

You're better off with an athlon 200ge by a long shot

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

nah man its amazing! /s Lol its horrible my gf had it and her computer would be idling and that chip would be around 80% usage.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

That sounds lovely.

No wonder you want to throw 3k dollars for her build.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

she got a 2600 upgrade but yea ima throw 3000 towards her since she will need it for her hobby/job if it becomes a job

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

As it is based off the old bulldozer AMD chips it is beyond bad in today's standards. What is your budget and what parts do you have now? Perhaps we can see a penny pincher build.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Its pretty bad. It is based on the same architecture as the FX CPU's despite being on the AM4 platform. Its why no one has really brought any 9000 series APU's. What games are we talking about?

Also FYI the 200GE is cheaper and better.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thx!

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

I am quite sure my 2007 Intel Q6600 is soundly thrashed in every benchmark/measure by the A6-9600. I can for sure run games on Q6600 at playable frame rates - about half that of a Haswell i5 (which was the last time I fired up the machine). Not recommended but it would do in a pinch.

Your AMD is at least double if not triple the speed of the Q6600.

You will get playable frame rates with appropriately chosen GPU. Not a CPU I would recommend you purchase but if you have it already, roll with what you have.

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

The Q6600 is actually a better CPU than the A6-9500.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked the benchmarks, you are correct sir. I would never have figured a chip from around 2007 would outperform this AMD chip released some 7 or 8 years later.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I seem to recall the Q6600 being a legendary overclocker. I'd also guess that you didn't push it or it wouldn't have survived this long. At the speeds it was capable of, it would probably run with the first gen R3 ryzens.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube