add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build/Power Supply help?

Retro_R

8 months ago

Hey, I just made my first pc, and I just found about this thing. So when I try to power on the pc it powers on then shuts off then powers on again and boots normally (video: https://youtu.be/IkBQNXNG8vg) this has kinda got me worried that maybe I have done something wrong. Can anyone help?

EDIT: If this is helpful to anyone it uses around 2.7 GB of ram on Idle

Edit 2: added some more details and changed some spelling

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you post a parts list?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure your CPU cooler has thermal paste and a good solid contact. That seems like to me to be a heat shutdown. I could be wrong.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it has thermal paste because the cooler has preapplied paste. I'm pretty sure it has good contact, but when I was putting it on, I kinda fiddled around with the placement, but idk. I feel like it probably won't be a thermal shut down thing because other than that it boots up fine and doesn't shut down. I was even playing games for a couple of hours last night and it didn't shut down. Although you never know.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

you would know if it was overheating, that gives a BSOD not an reboot

(what does it show when it's powering on?, it could be a windows 10 update)

also the RAM doesn't matter

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

On the screen after it turns off, it turns back on then just boots normally (bios/logo screen, then windows loading screen, etc)

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

but what does it show when it first turns off? or is there no display signal

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn’t show anything. The video can show it better than i can in text so please watch it

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

To me that seems like overheating. I had an issue on an i3 one time where the cooling fan came loose during transport and it just randomly started shutting down, but it never BSOD or anything. Like I said I could be wrong, but I would make 100% sure its nice and tight.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Granted this is intel and you have an AMD card, but the symptoms your talking about seem to match up with what they are saying here.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but it isn’t like that. It doesn’t randomly shut down when I press the power button it turns on and the lights and stuff turn on then it turns off for a second, then it turns on and boots normally

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had the odd system do similar, it was due to a grounding issue for me... I know this as when I took everything out of the case and setup on an anti-static bag the motherboard came in and jumped the pins with a paper clip to start the system it would work properly.

Try building the system out of that case and test, does it still do it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube